So sick of this. Electric fence question

cottontail farm

Crowing
6 Years
Dec 26, 2014
Rural NW Pa
I have had 22 birds killed already this year (18 in one day). Besides the 18 that were killed in broad daylight, the others have happened when I've fallen asleep with the kids and not closed coops until 2 a.m. (2 nights! only 2 nights this has happened! and I've had birds killed each time). Obviously the b@$+@rds are in the run EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. Apparently they are just going over the 4 ft fence now.
I am beyond sick and tired of feeding the local fox, coyote and raccoons. I am almost ready to give up at this point. Trapping works but we are just knee deep in predators.
I don't feel we have a choice at this point but to move to a solar powered electric fence.
For all of you that have elecric fences, do you still religiously have to close coop doors at dusk? I am planning to but life happens.
If we installed an electric fence around our existing fence would it keep everyone alive if the coop doors were left open over night?

I am very tired right now.... but yes... A four foot fence will keep nothing out by the way.... all it will do is keep the chickens in if they arent fliers.

Coop needs to be closed at night every night... I have lost four whole flocks to different predators so I know your pain. Coyotes are opportunistic and hunt in the morning and in the evening... Raccons can and will open doors if not secured.... And reach through wire and pull the heads or legs off your birds....

My major predator is coyotes.... And they can climb a six foot chainlink fence for dinner.
Same goes for bob cats. Bobcats are better at getting over a fence.

Hot wire on top and at the base of the fence.... strategically placed so they have to hit their noses to get by. Once deterred the predator keeps its territory but seeks out other sourses of food. Which is good because then you dont have to train another. You need to give em a good jolt though. if there are bears you may need to bait the fence with something tasty like tuna fish oil they will come and sniff and possibly lick.... Zap and they will leave it alone.

Electric fences arent dangerous even for a toddler who may come up against it... Hurts like he double hockey sticks... though I would teach them to stay away.

I have been shocked by major electric fences while keeping horses. Big wire lots of padocks lots of power .... I petted my horse over the fence got zapped in the armpit and transferred that zap to my horse we both bolted.....:gig

for what its worth the coop should be made of stout materials with windows and screening covered in Hardware cloth at least half inch spacing. The run Should be at least five foot or six foot Welded wire or chainlink.... Stretched Tight.

I prefer to have my runs covered with wire as well.... For Hawks and owls. Helps keep out the Cats Like bobcat and or mountain lions.... Yep I got em all.

But truely the worsed of all are packs of dogs.... Even one dog will kill and chase and kill and chase untill there is nothing left to chase.

deb

one thirty am here.... I am finally going to go to bed. Good luck there are lots of good suggestions that will come .... Lots of good helpful people.... Take what you need and file the rest away for future reference...

Good night.

Thanks for all of the good advice. The problem is animals going over the fencing. I'm thinking electric fencing has to happen. the run is way too big to possibly cover.

Since you have little ones who make it difficult for you to go out to close up your birds, I would highly recommend an automatic chicken door. But, yes, they really do need to be locked in EVERY night.

This would still leave the geese and ducks outside. Waterfowl party all night long if you let them.
So is everyone saying that they lock coops every night even WITH electric fencing?

This would still leave the geese and ducks outside. Waterfowl party all night long if you let them.
So is everyone saying that they lock coops every night even WITH electric fencing?
Yes.
I think another problem you will have is that 4' is a cake walk for a coyote to jump. If he never touches the fence to get in and out, he'll keep coming until the buffet is empty. Let's say you run a hot wire high on the fence. (A) I know of no solar charger with enough punch to deter an animal the size of a coyote. (B) Even if the coyote hit the high wire, it won't give him a zap as his feet will be off the ground and therefore, the circuit will not connect.

Back
Top Bottom