So since I can't get 100% sexed bantams, how many should I order?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wink, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Wink

Wink Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    I've just been puzzling this out in my brain... I'm ordering from Ideal hatchery here in Texas, and they don't sex their bantams (well, I heard that another place does but it's still a toss up as to what you get and I don't want to pay like $13 a bird!)

I'm building a coop that will be 4x5 (no, it can't be bigger, I'm sneaking the girls in as it is). They will have full access to their run 24/7 since the summers here in Texas can get super hot and i want to give them the option of sleeping in the run, which will be enclosed with HC, roofed, and be about 60 sq ft.

So, being that I'm looking at keeping 6-8 bantam girls (depending on the 2-3 sq ft per bird rule), but since I've got to order a st. Run, how many chicks would you order? 16? 20? I know I could end up with 20 roos (but I'm hoping not), but I also don't want to over order.... (the roos will be donated to our local 4H)

thanks for letting me pick your brain!!

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

More often than not I hear that they hatch out 50/50. Could be 60/40, could be 70/30. Really not way to tell. [​IMG] If I wanted 10 females, I would order 20. That being said if you get more hens than you want you can give the overage and the roos to the 4H. They will be very thankful!!

Good luck and I would love to hear your outcome [​IMG]

3. Wink

Wink Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    Quote:Guess I will order 16 and hope for the very best!

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I ordered sexed bantams from My Pet Chicken and they were 100% accurate in my case. It is a little more expensive, but worth it if you can't have roosters and don't want to deal with getting rid of bantam roos.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Actually it isn't true that chicks will be 50% of each sex. Mathematically every 6 chicks, assuming they aren't sexed, should have at least one male and one female. That means if you order the usual minimum order of 25 you will have at least 4 cocks and 4 hens--the other 17 could be anything from all one sex to an even split. It depends on what you're looking for. BTW this worked for me this spring--I ordered 6 straight run EE's and got one cockerel.

6. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

*What breed of bantams are you getting?

I ordered bantam Cochins from Ideal last Spring. We ordered 15 straight run, hoping get at least 5 to 6 females to keep. Out of the 15, one died in shipment and one the second day. The genders were pretty equally split in the remaining 13, and 7 were female. We could tell the genders of most by 6 weeks old, but I had cochins which I read are often easier to sex at a young age. With the Black Bantam Cochins, I knew by the second or third week which ones were cockerels.

I got almost 50/ 50 male to female
    4 Partridge = 1 was female
    5 Black = 3 were female
    4 Buff = 3 were female

There was enough room for all 13 chicks in the coop when they were smaller. At 7 weeks old, the males and 2 females went to a High School Ag department. My coop is on my BYC page if you want to see how much room they shared. Now at adult size, my 5 pullets have enough space in the coop, but I feel I would need a bigger run to keep more than my 5 chickens. If I was going to do it over, I would probably still order at least 15 if I wanted to end up with 5 or 6 girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by