So small for their age???? *PICS!*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 77horses, Feb 20, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    OK so we have two "chicks" in the brooder still; yet guess how old they are? Pumpkin is 5 months and Raven is 6 months! Yet they look sooo much younger than they really are! They are both so small! More info:

Pumpkin
    Breed: Buff Cochin
    Color: Buff/golden
    *Birthday: Sept. 14th, 2008

Measurements: (about)
    *6 inches tall
    *7 inches wide
    PICS:

Front:
    [​IMG]

Side:
    [​IMG]

Back/fluffy butt: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another side view:
    [​IMG]

Raven
    Breed: Easter Egger
    Color: Black
    *Birthday: Sometime is August...August 24th, 2008???

Measurements:
    (about)
    *9 inches tall
    *7 inches wide
    PICS:

Head:(Raven has HUGE eyes and a LONG neck and beak!)
    [​IMG]

Side/standing:
    [​IMG]

Side/laying down:
    [​IMG]

Sideways pic of standing:

Feet:(Raven's feet are very unique; her two middle toenail are peach, and the rest are black! It's like this for both feet!) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's hard to believe, when you look at these pics, that both of them are at laying age! 4 1/2 months is when our Red Stars started laying! They are early starters, but it still makes Pumpkin and Raven old enough to start laying!

Pumpkin will not be getting much bigger, since her previous owner said that she's a small breed. But Pumpkin's voice still peeps some...I don't think that I'm wrong about the birth date because when we got Pumpkin on Oct. 12th, 2008, she was 4 weeks. So I traced back 4 weeks before we got her..and came to Sept. 14th, 2008.

Raven will probably be getting a little bigger, but aren't EEs supposed to be bigger than she is right now??? And she still hasn't changed her voice completely. We got her on/around one of the weekends after we got Pumpkin. She was supposed to be 6 weeks then. So thinking back, she must be about 6 months old.

Why do they both look and act so young than they really are??? They look so small compared to their future cage-mates(the BOs and a Splash Cochin rooster. The Buff girls(2 of them) DO NOT LIKE Raven or Pumpkin!!! [​IMG] )

Thanks and all opinions are welcome! [​IMG]

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    They all look nice, not to small it seems to me at least IMO.

3. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    She might be a bantam EE?

They are both as cute as can be! Are they house chickens?

4. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Yes they are. [​IMG] It's way too cold outside, even with a lamp and brooder box. I can't even see them spending the night or day with the 2 buff pullets and the rooster, who tower over them so high!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] And I'm afraid that they would be pecked a lot out there, especially Raven, who likes to just sit around and is not very quick at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by