So so confused!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickNchik, Jul 29, 2013.

1. chickNchik

chickNchik New Egg

Jul 29, 2013
    Illinois
    Ok folks I am so new to all of this...chickens AND web sites I hope this makes it to the right audience! So, I thought I had Amerucana chicks when I got them at a farming supply store. Was told I had a straight run and today one of my "girls" crowed! She/he has also been aggressive toward one of the smaller hens and is quite a bit bigger than all 4 of my babies. So, in searching this site I am now not even sure what breed I have, let alone if my white and black (pictured) she is a he!! Can a few of you take a look? [​IMG]

2. Chicks and Hens

Chicks and Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    Hmm... Okay the shop owners always try to give away roos because no one want em' because they fertilize your eating eggs... The one in the back how ever is a Americauna most definetly... Roos are quite aggresive towards chickens and people and can be very protective of "their hens"... do they lay yet?

3. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    [​IMG]
    That's your boy.

Also, contrary to popular belief, roosters are only "mean" or aggressive to things that threaten their livelyhood or that of their flock. If you raise a rooster right, it won't be mean at all. Some roosters are more aggressive to hens than others, same with hens. Their disposition, the way they act, is based on their environment. genetics and the way they were brought up.

and post #2, roosters are chickens, hens are chickens, chicks are chickens. A rooster would be "mean" to a hen and maybe a chicken, but that chicken could be a rooster.

Anyway, enjoy your chickens!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. Sorry double post

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  5. There's NOTHING wrong with eating fertilized eggs... Don't taste different, nothing different about them except they have a bullseye and you can hatch them
    And no, roosters are not very aggressive. I have several roosters, none of which would give their lives for their hens and none of which have ever attacked me (well one has, and he's actually very protective of his hen, but its a tiny Serema)
    And NO, all of those are Easter eggers.

The black & white one is a boy, and all of those are EEs. You can show some dominance to prevent being aggressive (roosters can vary in both protective ness and how aggressive they are by how they are raised) to him, soft kicks when he's doing nothing, hard if he tries to attack you, etc. be gentle but firm in what you do.

6. chickNchik

chickNchik New Egg

Jul 29, 2013
    Illinois
    Thank you all so much...ok so one dumb question...easter eggers are a mixed breed of chicken correct? They have some trais of both the Amerucauna but the posting said Arucana when they were bought!! I just knew ol black and white baby was a boy! I am not too worried about aggression so far we also have 2 rather large Pekin ducks that seem to be keeping him in line for now. I worry a bit about our one little hen who he seems to have it out for but I will wait and see if any of that works itself out. Will try to post newest pics soon!!

7. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Easter Eggers are kind of their own breed all together and come in a TON of different colors and can lay pink, white, brown and even green eggs. Their genetic background varies so much that you never know what you'll get and that's the fun in owning them.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by