So, 'Splain These Welsummer Chicks, Christie, or Anyone! (Colors)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, Apr 25, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Christie, they are truly beautiful chicks! Thanks so much! If you recall, of the sixteen you sent, one was clear at day 7 candling. At hatch, one died after zipping about halfway out and one died with its beak in the aircell, for some reason. The rest are in the brooder, 13 out of 16! Now, the color variations are striking! Some are very sharply marked, some are paler, but have the same markings, just more "strawberry blonde" (cockerels?) There is one color that threw me. You can barely see the body stripes. They are thinner and have a bluish cast to them! They look like a different breed, really. Very pretty babies. I didnt expect the bluish cast in among the reddish brown fuzz.
    In the first pic, the baby I mean is on the far left and I think I have two of them, then one of it alone:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  2. speckledhen

IF I go by the sharper, darker, more defined striping on the Wellie chicks, I could have 8-9 pullets from these 13 chicks, not too shabby. Anyone know the answer to the strange colored one? Is it just a common variation?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  3. EastBayChickens

EastBayChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    I have a couple of Welsummer chicks, and one of them is more of a strawberry blonde like the one you show here. I'm PRETTY sure she's a pullet, though she definitely looks different in coloring than the other darker one. Mine are 7 weeks old...I'm not sure how long until I know for sure. I didn't see the bluish cast though. Aren't they the most gorgeous little chicks?

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    now that is different..the bluish cast one..the rest are very pretty and that one is really special.

5. speckledhen

They are indeed beautiful chicks, very robust, curious, alert, just perfect in every way. And I sure will love to see what happens with the bluish ones. It could be just a common variation I'm not aware of since this is my first Welsummer hatch. I always loved my Barred Rocks for their personalities and curious nature and these are the first chicks that rival them in all the same ways-quite an endorsement for Miss Christie's Welsummers! But then, I'm not really surprised. I knew I'd be pleased with her eggs and her chicks. [​IMG]

6. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Sorry I can't help you but I just had to say what beautiful babies they are!! I've only seen pix of Welsummer chickens and they are one on my list (my "if I EVER get to live in the country" list). They are so pretty. I sure hope you keep us posted on the growth of this chick compared to your others. I'd love to see them all as adults!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by