So... tell me about ducks.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tanichca, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Again, the longing for new birds has struck (last time it was turkens) and, after hearing from a several rl friends how awesome their ducks are, I have realized that I need one. Or two. Or three.
    I get the basics- make sure they have a clean place to swim, males are quieter than females (especially in call ducks), they can get along with chickens pretty well, but what else do I need to know? Any breeds I should specifically look for? I'm going to a huge show on Saturday, so I want to know what to look for in the sale and auction areas. So, share your experience, give tips, whatever. Thank you!

-Tani

2. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    Their eggs are tasty in custards. Khaki Campbells are good layers. Females can be very loud. They make mud holes everywhere and foul the waterers constantly. The pond water can be applied directly to plants as with all their poo.

I'm thinking about getting out of ducks myself. Chickens and ducks together make a bad combo in regards to flies.

OTOH I had a bad yellowjacket infestation where the ducks & chickens live now. I'm pretty sure it was the ducks that are due most of the credit for the removal.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    MMM! That will be useful for Cinco De Mayo when I make flan!

4. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    So... thats it? No other info? Should I be getting a drake or a hen? Help?

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    hmm what do you want from ducks? i mean some are better egg layers, others are better at pest control.. some are larger, smaller.. louder lol

I have Muscovy, that's it.. i went with that breed because they are generally considered pretty hardy, a decent size( i free range) pretty quiet.. hens rarely quack, drakes only hiss and a few other low sounds, have pretty decent personalities, excellent for pest control, plus i'd get a few eggs etc

My flock is a touch unbalanced at the moment as i have 3 to 5 ratio... -drakes to hens- i need to pare that down.. to many drakes.. seems to be a varying opinion on the best ratio's... i do know you can have just one gender.. and i suppose just a pair, i do know it's best they not be the only.. being flock creatures they'd appreciate "friends"

For ducks in general, they aren't clean.. i'll tell you that [​IMG] and they love mud and water... mine are crawling in the buckets when i am hauling water out to the horses.. to see a big duck try and squeeze into a bucket is pretty darn funny.. [​IMG]

As i said i free range mine and lock them up at night... none of mine are clipped.. they stay and generally don't wander to far but i am on acreage..

Basically i'd research breeds and see which appeals most and then look through old threads and ask specific breed questions. HTH?

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Yes, ducks are sooo messy. 2 ducks are the work of 20 chickens :oops:

At least my two are.. They make such a horrible mess of my run and like to bill my chickens. Drakes can injure chickens (hens) by mating, so that's something to consider.

They are really fun to watch, and are very entertaining. Mine are not nearly as personable as my chickens, but that's just my experience. They are much quieter than the chickens. They need new water every morning, and in the winter this can be difficult. Regular chicken waterers are a bust. Mine will drill into it for 30 minutes with 15 litres being spilled everywhere. In the spring, I will separate them. My silkies will thank me :lau

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Having never had chickens i cannot compare... mine are not to horrible but since they free range the mess is just kinda spread out [​IMG] Yes, i have heard that with drakes and chickens.. i know you wouldn't leave my Muscovy drakes with chickens they are just to big a bird.. i see only bad things happening there. [​IMG] I bet your silkies would be happy.. i don't think they like get wet? to fluffy.. my that would be a sad sight lol

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

The ducks got at one of my silkies before roosting time. In the morning her crest was all frost :lau - Poor thing. It went down to -30 that night. She was fine, but still. Could have been worse. My chickens don't treat them like other chickens, and 90 % of them let the ducks get away with anything. if it was one of their own, they would have got a peck in the butt. [​IMG] This is what my drake does a lot. He has never tried to mate my hen(muscovy duck), but always the chickens. Good thing my chickens don't put up with him. My rooster will stand up for his girls if the rooster is distressing the hen.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  9. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Well, I was looking for smaller-sized ducks (call ducks) because they will be in with my bantams. Noise doesn't really matter, as we live on five acres in the mountains. Water won't be a problem, we have cisterns that are full year round with harvested water. And, weirdly enough, my chickens LOVE getting wet. Silkies especially. Weird little fuzzballs. [​IMG]

As for what I'd like them for, first of all, pets. A friend is living with our family, and she used to have ducks but she couldn't bring them with her when she moved, so these ducks will hopefully make her feel more at home. I'll just be getting one or two hens, probably. (Can you just get one hen?) If they lay eggs, that'd be cool, but that will not be their main use. [​IMG]

10. dukzzz

dukzzz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    call or mallards would seem to suit you well. Be aware that ducks are extremely messy; they love to dig, play in mud, and soak there pen. I found that raising the pen a couple of inches higher then the ground around it and using pea gravel or sand helps control the mess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by