So, tell me about Pet pigeons Please

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
ok, so I saw some GORGEOUS birds and my aunt has some doves and pigeons but they are just quality pets.

So now im thinking I might want a Pigeon or two.. What are the pros and cons? Are the "bird brained" or smart creatures?

Any advice and pictures are welcome
wee.gif

They are very intelligent little birds, despite the rep. people have given them. Pigeons and doves both will see you as their mate after a while, as many birds do, and will have a strong bond to you. If you have a hen, she may lay some eggs for you, which I'm sure they'd understand when you have to decline the invitation to share nesting duty, LOL. And males usually become cocky and dance and sing. Some people have said their pigeons will follow behind them (walking, not flying), and have even hopped up on their feet and untied their shoes before, haha. They're quite entertaining! But one thing to keep in mind, is they all have their own invidiual personalities, so not all pigeons/doves will acts the same as pets. Some are more outgoing, others more shy. And then some may give you a wing slap or two and play tug-o-war with their beak vs. you. And others may just prefer to cuddle up and play nice.

The only con I can think of really, is the droppings. But that's why God made BirdWear!...Okay, maybe not God, but a woman named Bonnie did!
smile.png
Lovely pigeon, dove, and chicken sized diapers, in some fabrics that will surely set fashion statements in the feathered world!
tongue.png

One more thing. Getting a pair of pet pigeons will keep them from being quite as lovey-dovey on you. But both can be tamed and bonded with of course. They just don't devote all their love and attention to you in that case.

Its smelly.

They will tolerate you if you handle them enough. Handling them as babies tends to make them friendlier as adults. Although I have one that is a mean little snot. They make great breeding birds and pets. Some of them can be mean butts when they want to be.
smile.png
Doesn't hurt when they win slap or bite though. One of my house pigeons does that to me at feeding time.

quite honestly i would not call them smart, i love my doves and pigeons but intelligent is not a word i would use to describe them. but they do make great pets, especialy if kept inside alone, and i never even found them to be that messy, maybe compared to a parakeet but they aren't that bad.

Pigeons have been proven to be one of the most intelligent species of bird in the world. Homing pigeons probably topping the list of pigeon breeds simply because they're closer to the wild Rock doves, and being smart is something that's important in the breed. They may not be able to talk or mimic sounds, but the can do other things that make them just as smart. For one, they're good at problem solving. They also have good memories and can recognize details in things.

The droppings of a healthy pigeon should be round and compact. No watery or messy droppings like ducks. Pigeons also hardly smell at all. Usually the only smelly droppings are the nest poops (when they're sitting on the nest, they'll hold it in more, so when they come off, they leave some big ones
th.gif
I'm sure the added protien helps make that smell)...and sick birds of course
smile.png
But even they are usually not so bad, unless they have E. coli or canker, in which they can smell pretty bad. Regular cleaning will help with that though
smile.png
Also, pigeons poo about every 15 or so minutes. That's supposed to go for many birds, but I swear ducks are just like a constant fountain
gig.gif

SO If I decided to get a Pigeon - or dove - Would it need alot of perches? A wire floor or a hard floor? Id prolly only get one - two at most. Do they make diapers for them, just in case I want to be able to let them out to sit in my lap while I work ( if they arent meany butts, lol )

I think my pigeons are really smart. Esp my mean blue grizzled giant house pigeon. He will sit on my arms and hands, when I can get him to do it. I wouldn't say they are in the same level as parrot, but definately not dumb.

you can use a wire rabbit hutch or cage, Make sure they have a lot of space to move around it. Large dog cages also work good too. They will need a couple of branches to sit on. Makes them happier and gets them off the wire.

A rabbit hutch will work for a couple birds
smile.png
It's the easiest thing to get/make that's the right size. Wire floors are okay, but half and half is better, since walking on wire all the time isn't really comfortable for any birds. A simple bar across the cage will be fine for one or two birds
smile.png
Otherwise you can nail some 2x4 blocks out from the wall that will serve as nice perches. Only a few are needed for a couple birds, since they don't climb or anything.

For diapers:
http://www.birdwearonline.com

Back
Top Bottom