So... tell me about silkies...

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
I cant believe im saying this but...

Tell me about Silkies. Do they fly? I wasnt sure because of the feathers.

Im only even asking these crazy questions because my dad likes silkies and Ive heard they are THE BEST mothers. Kinda like a scovie as in I can put whatever eggs I want under her.

We are building new pens with GRASS lol so Ill have a small coop for her any everything. And im pretty sure I can feed them cracked corn and the same layer feed I feed my ducks.

My main delimma is the flying thing. The only predator problems ive ever had are snakes. the people across the street have chickens and im hoping If i get silkies that they wont travel over there.

They don't fly. At all. They do make fantastic mothers and are quieter than most hens. I have found mine to be less hardy though to cold weather and the larger hens pick on them more.

I dont plan on getting any other breed of chicken. They might share a pen every now and then with the ducks when I open all the gates but thats it.

What would I need to provide for winter? We hvae gotten a light snow the past two years. I could always place them in a cage in the barn with a heat lamp but I think that that would be a little cruel
sad.png
Would a dog kennel or wooden box with a small opening just big enough for them to walk into work out if it has los of hay? Ive never had chickens before but If I get silkies Ill prolly get about three or four.

Well they dont fly to some extreme. With my silkie hens, if you are chasing them, they can get up to about 2-3 feet. So you can say, they jump, not fly.
ANd they wont roost. They bunch up and look like fluff balls.
But SUPER SWEET! I have a hen who is a bit mean, but the other one is kind
smile.png

I dont mind the jumping, the fence is four feet tall. I mainly want them for hatching eggs and being broody.

Should I get a rooster or just hens?

Also - I let my ducks free range alot, So would I need to let the silkies free range or would they be ok in a 25' x 50' enclosure? I dont think Id have too much fun chasing fluff balls over five unfenced acres.

Quote:
Being in Alabama I don't think you will have a problem with them. I am in Oklahoma and mine do fine here.
Chris

Thanks! What colors do they come in? I dont want two of the smaw color. I know I want a blue at least. Do they come in pied colors?

I've got one that TRIES to fly, but doesn't really get much air.
gig.gif
It ( we aren't sure if it's a he or she) runs real fast, flaps it's wings, and maybe gets about 10 inches off the ground. It's very funny to watch!

Bluemoon

Awww.... Ok im hooked, Im getting some come spring. Ill have to sneak them in and say they are duck eggs though lol, and when they hatch Ill have to sneakk them out.
lau.gif
or I can seduce my parents with their cuteness and convince them to look the other way.

Can I feed them whole corn or can they only swallow cracked corn? I can always crack the corn myself ( lol ) If need be.

You will love them. They are the funniest to watch when they do run.Sometimes they start with a hop straight up a few inches then the running thing. Mine have lots of feathers on their legs and feet. But they are so tame they don't run when I walk up to them. My silkies do happen to roost they were raised with other birds. I just picked up 4 new chicks today...

Back
Top Bottom