1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So tell me, just which one of is getting trained?????

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Crabella, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Crabella

Crabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    The Colonel is a handsome golden sex link roo. He lives in a small coop and pen with a couple other bachelor roos. It was supposed to be temporary quarters until they all went to freezer camp.... right. They've been here long enough that I've named them. Their pen is not very secure... after all it was to be temporary, they weren't supposed to still be here, but they are... and for the last month, every evening The Colonel manages to get out.

This is the coop, a converted playhouse. An "in progress" picture from last summer, before the Colonel and his buddies moved in, and before I added their so called temporary pen.
    [​IMG]

Our porch door has a full length window. Right about dusk, the Colonel comes to the porch door and chucks and clucks and just makes a general nuisance of himself, until I finally give up, go out and open the door to his coop so he can go to bed. His buddies, Sanders and Gorden stand in the door and wait while he comes running. He hops in, grabs a quick snack and gets on his roost.
    Now my grand daughter thinks I have him trained to do this so I don't forget to lock the rest of the flock up. But I'm pretty sure that I'm the one being trained.
    This is a photo of the Colonel looking at me through the door. Telling me it is bed time and I should put the camera down so he can go to bed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Ha ha I love it when chickens look in the window at you! I can hear him clucking away so you get up and let him in [​IMG]

3. Crabella

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    I'm pretty sure that if I opened the door, he would walk right in and request that his dinner be promptly served! Then say "nice digs, think I'll just roost right here. It's got a nice window and view".

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

lol, good trainer!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have <I><*ahem*></I> two pullets who have not yet been "put outside in the coop" despite their age. <I><*cough*></I> they do go outside with the flock during the day, but when the rest of the flock coops up, these two girls come inside for the night.

Sometimes, during the day, they want back inside, but I don't let them in until close to dusk. They tap at the French door glass, I ignore them. They're usually sitting on the backs of the patio chairs when I let them in for the night. The other day, I heard some clucking from the back of the house (this is a natural route of traffic for the flock but they don't usually stop and cluck loudly about anything). Then I noticed the two pullets standing on the composting pyramid, looking directly into the bedroom window - which is visible from the living room and apparently vice versa. :lol:

They had seen me, and saw that I saw THEM. Off the composter and back around the house they came to the French doors.

They follow me all over the yard when I am outside doing chores or just enjoying the antic of the entire flock. And they both try to sneak back inside right behind me.

And yet they love it outside, doing regular chicken things. When it gets warmer, I'll put them in the coop at night and that will be it.

<I>...she says, resolutely....</I>

6. Crabella

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    This is why I come to this site. My no-chicken friends just roll their eyes when I tell them my 'chicken stories'... and chickens on the deck! Sitting on the patio furniture??? Pooping on the deck! omg.... I just laugh and get out the broom (if it's frozen) or the hose during the summer,and shoo the perpetrators back to the 'chicken yard'.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Crabella - you don't sound like a crab at all. You sound like a cheerful person.

8. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    [​IMG]

9. Crabella

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    Thanks.... I'm not crabby ...now... [​IMG] but then, it is not 5 a.m. with no coffee, 20 degrees out and wind blowing with chickens waiting to be fed. For a short time I was having insomnia accompanied by waking up at 4 a.m. I said something to the DH about hoping I wasn't turning into one of those "morning people"... he (quite seriously) assured me that true morning people are MUCH more cheerful when they wake up at that hour.... [​IMG] Yes, he is still alive...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by