1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So thank you to FILs doc!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Jul 25, 2011.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    He pulled FILs license today! [​IMG]

Really, I am grateful. MIL refused to tell him the time had come. I did, but he didn't need to listen to me. So DH slipped his mechanic a few bucks to not quite manage to fix FILs car for the last 3 months! [​IMG]

But, he drove himself to the doc today and the doctor refused to let him even drive himself home. Good man!

FIL cried. [​IMG] I feel bad and I know this is a sign of the real slide for FIL. I know what will happen now because he will end up housebound since MIL doesn't like to drive far and hates to drive FIL anywhere (he is a terrible passenger)

But there are other people on the road and he needed to stop.

So a good day for drivers everywhere. A real rough one for FIL.

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    We are going through the same thing with my dad. My mother and I have been "unable" to find tires for either one of his pick-ups for two years now. It seems all 8 went flat all at once. [​IMG] I'm not sure if the doc has not pulled his license because he (the doctor) himself is driving at nearly 80 years old or if he is afraid of my dad. My dad can be a bit of a ..... um .... jerk and he is not improving with age. [​IMG]

3. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    my fil died 4 years ago he had parkinsons and I can remember how bad he was ten years ago and still driving he refused to give up and had countless accidents while driving his dr finally did pull his lisence and gratefully he never collided with another car.

Your poor fil maybe someone can find it in their heart to drive him a couple days a week to a place he can have coffee and visit with friends.

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    FIL is not an easy man. And he and MIL have a bizarre relationship.

FIL goes to the Y three days or so a week to bathe and "work out". It is his physical therapy and his social outing. I fear MIL will refuse to take him and DH and I will not be able to once school starts back up.

But, I will for now.

5. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    My mom stopped driving about 2 years ago at 86.

I came close to killing an elderly driver who had come up the off ramp and was making a slow wide u-turn on the freeway just in front of me. I had seen the cars on the side of the road that were driving odd, but did not see her until she was just feet from being T-boned by me. Thankfully, the free way was open, I slowed when I saw the cars and she did not stop and freeze. She never saw me.

I called 9-1-1 as I tried to follow her, I was shaking so bad and get my car out of the shoulder of the freeway where I had swerved. I stopped and cried like a baby for a few minutes. She had no idea how close she had come to dying or how close I had come to killing her. My hood would have gone right in the window of her car. She never turned her head.

I told my mom that it was time. I never wanted her to do that and I knew if she went up the wrong ramp she would freeze. Thankfully she can get rides to church, I take her shopping and mostly she likes staying home and being busy in her garden.

6. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Saw FIL this morning and he was pressing me about wether what the doctor did was really legal and could he over ride it and I told him that it was past time for him to stop driving and I was grateful to the doctor for stopping him.

At first he was really angry with me, then he cried and said it was me just getting my way as usual.

I reminded him that there are more people on the road than just him. He said that was what the doctor said.

last night on the news an elderly man drove his car through the front of a restaurant. FIL Said, "I don't know what's with these kids!" Kids!? The driver was 82. FIL is 86.

he claims he is a prisoner now.... [​IMG]

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I spent last week with my 86 year old FIL. I am soooooo grateful for his continued use of logic and common sense. He told me straight up that he wants to move to a retirement community and that he doesn't think he'll even try to renew his license next June. I'm very fortunate to have Dad in my life.

Perhaps the Y has a transportation program for their members who don't drive? Or maybe there's a senior's shuttle service in town?

Keep your sense of humor!

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Glad to read this. I recall an eldery lady who caused an accident that killed an entire family(and their dog) on a days outing celebrating the parents anniversary. I know it will be hard for FIL,but atleast he stopped driving before he caused an accident.

9. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I'm sorry for FIL that he is feeling his age and this loss of independence, but so, so glad you guys stepped up. I wish more people did, not just for the elderly, but anyone who just can not seem to drive safely. Do you have any good public transportation systems in your area?

10. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I took the keys away from DH's grandmother two years ago. She has cataracts in both eyes, can't hear (refuses to wear hearing aids) and her ideas of traffic laws are now scary (like you only have to yield to pedestrians in cross walks on days when school is in session). Oh, not to mention, she wouldn't drive over 15 MPH anywhere, including on the state hwy in front of her house, where it's 70 MPH and she'd pull out in front of the cars she couldn't see. [​IMG] She was going to be killed or kill someone else.

She got mad and told me I was horrible. I told her she could just be mad because she's alive and she didn't kill anyone else and have to live with that, my kids get to know her and if she's mad at me over it, that's still a small price to pay for all of that. I think it helped a bit hearing that. We do value her and want her around for longer.

Your FIL's doctor made the right call, good for him for doing so. That's the mark of great doctor who truly cares about his patient.

I hope that FIL can find other arrangements to get where he wants to go so he doesn't lose those outlets. I don't know how big the town is where he lives, but in our old town the senior center would pick up seniors in town for free and out of town for a small fee, so maybe you could look into something like that and pay the fee for him? Very sweet of you to make sure he gets there this summer while you can. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by