So, the neighbor that bought a dozen eggs last week...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Nov 6, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    came up today and bought 3 dozen more. I heard her tell my SO she wishes I had ducks. She bakes alot and likes to use duck eggs. She can't have her own backyard poultry because she's a grower for Tyson.
    [​IMG] I've got an enabler living next to me! Now where are those duck pictures again? [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

WOW what luck!!! Do you have ducks? [​IMG]

3. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] That's awesome!! Lucky you!

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:No, but I've been bugging my SO for some. I'm definitely going to get some as soon as we can get our smaller pond that's closest to the house fixed. It dried up this past summer because the cows eroded the bank away. My SO didn't want to pay someone to come fix it because bulldozer work is expensive. However, we just found out the other day that his SIL may be able to rent us a bulldozer at a discount since he works for Caterpillar Corp. If he does then we are going to not only fix the leak, but enlarge it as well. Our big pond is too far from the house. I wouldn't feel comfortable with the ducks being that far away.

5. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    what does that mean "shes a grower for Tyson" ???

ooo and ducks sound fun.. I have a pond in my back yard but not sure the owner of the pond wants them..

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:She grows out broilers for Tyson, i.e., she has commercial chicken houses. It's a big no-no to have other poultry around the commercial houses. In fact, to be absolutely in adherence with their policies, human traffic around the houses is limited as well. She broke a couple of rules when she was up here yesterday. She went inside my chicken yard to see the coop we built and admire the chickens from afar. They were out in the brush free-ranging. I'm sure she has boot wash down at her place and would wash her shoes. She even said she'd be more afraid for her chickens to give mine something than the other way around.
    Additional note: Way back in the day my SO's mom defied the rules of Tyson and kept backyard chickens despite being a grower. The chickens she used for layers were broiler chicks that she diverted from the commercial houses the day they were hatched and delivered. They'd live for a couple of years at least. Not sure that would work nowadays since the broiler chicks are genetically engineered to grow so fast.

7. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Quote:Nice to hear that from the horses mouth, so to speak. [​IMG]

Sounds like you need to get yourself some DUCKIES!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] I certainly won't help enable that behavior.

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Duccccckkkkiiiiiieeeeessss

You neeeed

9. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:Yep what Terrie said [​IMG]

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep what Terrie said [​IMG]

Yeah yeah I know and I'm brainstorming ducky questions all the time now. Like...
    could three of them live in one of those pre-fab chick-n-barns? If I get runner ducks and let them go to the big pond, could they be herded back to the house at night? After all they developed their unique posture from being herded right? Questions, questions, questions!
    I'll figure something out by spring. Where there's a will, there's a way! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by