1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So there goes my first attempt right? Ugh!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lswatson111304, Oct 30, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    So we stopped by the local guy and he gave us 18 eggs. Of course no gurantee that any are fertile, but hopeful that some are. He was just wanting to be helpful because we want to try to hatch for the kids to watch the process. We got the bator all set up and THOUGHT we had the temp regulated for long enough. Put the eggs in. Watch it. Still regulated. Leave to go to church, so we were gone for 2 hours. Come home and it was at 110!!!!!!
    I don't know how it happened. Nobody was home to mess with it, it had been stable for hours before we left. I'm so bummed out!

2. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    Maybe room temp went up raising temp in bator??? I would let them be and see what happens. Its early enough that maybe no damage done with. I had power shortage for a day and bator went down to 87 and still had 99 percent hatch rate. Good luck

3. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Thanks, you know I'm sure the house temp did go up because we left a roast in the oven to cook while we were gone, plus its been cool so no A/C's have been on, but it warmed up this afternoon. SO yeah, the house was warmer, but not THAT much warmer. I'm going to keep a close eye on temps and see if anything happens

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Keep the faith... One of my incubators went down to 93 the one day because of a power outage. When the power came back on one of the incubators went up to 115. Another time on our coldest night I lost power, I was 2 weeks into incubation. The temp in the incubator was 78 degrees when I discovered it. I put the incubator on a battery pack with an inverter and brought the temp back up. I was really worried but I still had good hatches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by