So, there's this cat...

ProudNewChickenMommy86

Songster
8 Years
Nov 2, 2011
Acworth, Ga
I've seen this cat for the past few days... I've been watching it VERY closely. This afternoon I come out to spend time with my girls, and this cat is cuddling my rhode island red. They were so comfy. I'm a lil worried that this cat might get a wild hair up her butt and decide to get mean one day, but I'm just not sure. The girls didnt seem to mind a at all. I'm confused.

If your chickens are adults, I wouldn't worry too much - they will keep the cat in line. Sounds more like the cat is looking for warmth or a friend.....

We have many cats that co-exist with my chickens wonderfully. I have not had any issues or any fears that my cats will hurt my chickens (yes, they free-range). If a cat gets too close, I have seen a hen give the cat a good peck, and that is the end of it! I have a few very large male cats that used to be strays who decided to live at my farm, I get them fixed, feed them and they seem to loose that wild hunting instinct. A warm bed and easy food makes for a nice life. I am sure there are exceptions to this as others may tell you, but this is my experience.

The cats have never been a problem for me but for some people it has. I would be a little cautious. My main issue would be the risk of parasites and disease it could carry.

3 of them are almost 8 months, the others are 5 months and 4 months. The 5 month old rir was the one one she was cuddling with. I'm just wondering if the cat stepped out of line would the big chickens protect the lil ones?

Most parasites/diseases are species specific so I would not be concerned with that. Also if the cat has not attacked your birds, I doubt that it will do so unless it is starving. Do you know who owns the cat? Does it appear to be feral? Last winter a truly feral cat took up residence under one of the buildings which serves as a pigeon loft. Yes, I feed her.
hide.gif
The benefit - I have not had to poison any rats or mice since her arrival. She is carrying out excellent vermin control.

I haven't seen any aggression at all. I have no idea who owns the cat. The cat will not let me get close at all. I think it may be wild. Should I start feeding it to ensure it won't get hungry and try to have chicken for dinner?

:Once you feed a cat it is officially yours. Catch in a trap and have it spayed or neutered. Also a rabies shot is a good idea. One or two are nice to have around but 20+ not so nice. They multiply at exceedingly high rates and they send the word out that there is food at your house. We had to take a bunch to the humane society. Now all that hang around(2) are neutered. They get fed good once a day. There are not rats or mice this yr. I have seen others at odd times but they do not stay. I had a hunter cat but his first encounter with a hen was his last. Imagine a very proud Tom stalking a med sized hen low belly crawling. He was going to get him some meat. All of a sudden, the hen stood tall waved her wings and let out a hugh scream.
ep.gif
The cat ran so fast and out of sight.
hide.gif
He must have been thinking of dinasour birds for sure.
lau.gif
I just stood there laughing. From then on he looked outside before he would leave the porch. This from a cat who brought me a hugh wild rabbit
th.gif
Gloria jean

I would feed the cat against the possibility that it might become hungry and ----. I tried to trap the cat that adopted this place as her home. Yes, her, because she is a calico and I was concerned about the possibility of kittens. She is trap shy and will not go near a box trap. She did not have kittens this spring/summer so I think that she may be a trap/neuter/release animal. Cats as well as predators become trap shy/wary after being caught and released. (A point to be remembered when trapping and relocating predators which may make their way back home.)

Back
Top Bottom