1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So, these look fresh enough right?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicamama, Jul 31, 2008.

1. chicamama

chicamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    Found a nest of eggs. I'm trying to wrangle my hens to lay *BEFORE* I let them out to FR.
    [​IMG]

2. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    I hear if they sink they are good and I would say those are sinkers [​IMG]

3. clarkestep

clarkestep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    I thought the same thing too about sinking eggs until I cracked one open. [​IMG] I would just crack them separately into a bowl before using.

Now, like you, I knew the eggs 'may have been' bad. I got them from my neighbor and he warned me that he didn't collect for 3 days (in GA) and that some of the ones his wife cracked weren't any good. He told me that when you go to crack them if the yolk is already broken don't bother to crack the rest of the way. Eggs get really watery/runny when they spoil so when you go to crack it, it is very noticable, even before the smell hits. All the eggs that had their yolk intacted were fine. Hope this helps!

4. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    Good Tips

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by