So, they didn't seem to like the lobster too much...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Marshchick, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Marshchick

Marshchick Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Marshfield, MA
    I'd read that some folks feed fish or fish racks (skeletons with meat/heads/etc.) to their chickens, kind of like the oyster shell thing. So last night we tried the remains of the lobster bodies. They didn't seem to like it too much but it was just their first try. We'll offer it again the next time we have it, and see how they do with it.

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Anytime I introduce any kind of new food scraps to our chickens they look at me like I've lost my mind! You can just read it their faces, "You expect us to eat THAT?" [​IMG]

3. Marshchick

May 16, 2011
    Marshfield, MA
    LOL!! That's exactly how they looked at me! I'm wondering if the smell was also a bit much for them. A few of them tried it, and it was so funny. They'd wipe their beaks back and forth in the grass as if to wipe it off saying "Good God woman, what are you trying to do, poison us!?"

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    They were probably waiting for the drawn butter. Or perhaps a side of caviar. Silly birds.

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    "Oh sure you eat all the sweet meat with drawn butter and a glass of wine and you give us the shells and gaucamole,thanks for nothing" So much for happy chickens [​IMG]

6. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    The beak wipe thing is completely normal and doesn't neccesarily mean they dislike it. They do that with lots of things they love. Yogurt, watermelon, strawberries. Next time they will run at you to get it. Mine also like leftover fish, shrimp tails, clams, seaweed, and we use crushed quahog shell for calcium. (just rinse the salt off)

btw: look at all the people from Marshfield. And my mom says she can't find fresh eggs nearby.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  7. Marshchick

May 16, 2011
    Marshfield, MA
    Yes! Lots of egg folks in Marshfield. Mine haven't started laying yet, but there are a whole lot of folks with eggs around here. Maybe we can find your mom a supplier.

How fine do you crush the quahog shells? I'd like to do that, but not sure how fine to get it, and if it's chunks, do they really get any when pecking it? And how do you crush them? Run them over with your car/truck?

Thanks for the tip about the beak wiping, that was cracking me up watching them!

8. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    my chooks would rebel if I fed em lobster shells. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Kdub86

Kdub86 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Mine love prawn or shrimp heads and shells [​IMG]

10. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    Quote:I use the top of a hammer sideways and smash away. It leaves many different sizes. Think grit size and smaller. Something they can pick up and ingest. It's a great stress reliever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by