So...theyre here. Now what?

mich9510

Songster
Jul 21, 2016
Southwest PA
My chicks arrived from mcmurray today. I have them in the brooder with a heat lamp and heating pad on low under the towels the broider is lined with. They have starter feed and fresh water on the other end. It's only been an hour but they're still chirping like crazy. They're not all huddled together so it seems they're warm enough. And they're not running away from the lamp so they're not too warm. A few are pecking at the feed and getting drinks. There is poop here and there on the towels. Can anyone think of anything else I need to do right now? Oh and how much grit do I need to add to the feed? Just a sprinkle?

Chirping is fine as long as it isn't super loud almost like a scream. By your description sounds like they are comfortable as long as they are kinda running around and doing their own things. You really only need grit if you are feeding them something other than starter feed. Starter feed is formulated for them to digest and doesn't require grit. I always put a bowl (actually a ceramic cat food bold that can't be turned over) in a corner and put some dirt/sand in it for them. They scratch it out every where and it has to be refilled but it gives them grit, and a tiny dirt bath spot. Also if you use dirt from the location they will be going as adults, it gives them a chance to absorb any microbes or whatever might be in your dirt ahead of time and, I have read, builds their immune system somewhat. Good luck.

My chicks arrived from mcmurray today. I have them in the brooder with a heat lamp and heating pad on low under the towels the broider is lined with. They have starter feed and fresh water on the other end. It's only been an hour but they're still chirping like crazy. They're not all huddled together so it seems they're warm enough. And they're not running away from the lamp so they're not too warm. A few are pecking at the feed and getting drinks. There is poop here and there on the towels. Can anyone think of anything else I need to do right now? Oh and how much grit do I need to add to the feed? Just a sprinkle?
Hi,
I am in Ligonier, PA. Welcome! No grit for a week. Thye don't need it yet. Go to Tractor Supply and buy the smallest bottle of Bovidr labs Poultry Nutri-drench. Put it in their water until it looks like very weak tea. They have been shipped ad will experience tavel stress. The drench is a greta emergency nutritional supplement. I have been using it on my poultry and dosg for over a ecade and a half. Works great! Doesn't need to e digested, mainline directly into the bloodstream. Measureable in 10 minutes, and 50% uptake in 30 minutes with 99% utilization. All natural. At this age, we don't want the chicks to have any check on their dveelopement . We want them to vigorously progress as a whole lot of internal maturation goes onin the first week. A check in their development now can affect them from reachin their full genetic potential when rown. The drench will prevent that. It prevents pasty butt, constipation and diarhhia. It jumpstarts their G.I. tract and retores their immune system from the challenges of travel and adaptation to their new home. Keep it in their water for the 1st 2 week of life to get them off to a strong start. You don't need any other addititve but the feed, the rench and chick grit after they are a week old.
Congrats on your chicks and enjoy!
Karen,

Last edited:
Please, please ditch the heat lamp! It's overkill and actually works against your chicks' well being. The heating pad system is all they need in the way of heat. In fact, if the rest of the brooder is much cooler, it's even better than keeping the entire thing a uniform temperature. Many of us brood outdoors under the heating pad system and the ambient temp can be quite cool, even in the freezing range. The chicks will become cold hardened much earlier and grow feathers at a much better rate.

Edit: I just noticed you aren't using the heating pad according to the "official" use which involves setting it up on a wire frame enclosed in a soft material to simulate a broody hen for chicks to cuddle under.

The way you have your pad under the bedding does little good. In fact it adds more heat than is necessary. I am recommending you choose either the heat lamp or set up the heating pad system so the chicks can derive full benefit from it. See Blooies's thread in the topic on this forum.

As far as grit goes, you do not put it in their food. Chickens, even baby chicks, will select the exact size and amount of grit their bodies require if you have it available as free choice. I never bother with store bought grit, myself. I brood on sand and the chicks load up the first couple days, and the smug rascals are then all set for any treats that happen to appear in their brooder.

Last edited:
I also recommend serving them some unflavored plain Greek yogurt to help nurture healthy bacterial growth in their digestive systems. You can simply mix a small amount into the chick feed. It is also a great source of calcium for bone development. Another great think to have on hand is apple cider vinegar. If you see anything like diarrhea develop that is a great treatment at very low cost.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. They're so darn cute! All arrived alive and appear to be healthy. They're bee-bopping all over the brooder, running over to eat and drink. They sleep a little and are at it all over again.

Apple cider vinegar with the mother ...a dash in their water!

I just wanted to update everyone on how things are going since Tuesday will be the chicks one week birthday. All are doing great! I had one chicks with pasty butt but that seems to have subsided. I also thought she had an umbilical infection but I think she's going to be fine. She's very active and won't be bullied even though she's the smallest of the 16 chicks. I named her Rocket. My mystery chick is named Dr. Strange (someone thought she might b a speckled Sussex). I can't tell any of the others apart yet but they will also be named after Marvel characters.
I'll post some pictures a little later. Thanks to all for the help and support. I'm mixing the I feed with Greek yogurt (small amount) and adding a splash of Apple cider vinegar to their water daily as a was advised by some people. One of the chicks had diarrhea for about 2 days. It has since resolved. Maybe from the yogurt and vinegar? Lots of good info here. You guys are great!

Back
Top Bottom