1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So this cookie tin heater....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by clairabean, Feb 3, 2011.

1. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Is a nightlight size bulb enough? And do these work well with plastic waterers?

2. B'villechicken

B'villechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Syracuse NY Area
    A night light bulb is probably not big enough. I usually use a 40W bulb. This year, however has been colder and when my 40W bulb burned out, I used a 60W. Plastic waterers are safe with cookie tin heaters. Hope this helps, good luck.

David

3. clairabean

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    [​IMG] Thank you.

4. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    B'villechicken :

A night light bulb is probably not big enough. I usually use a 40W bulb. This year, however has been colder and when my 40W bulb burned out, I used a 60W. Plastic waterers are safe with cookie tin heaters. Hope this helps, good luck.

David

x's 2.​

5. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Look for an "appliance bulb" like you would use in an oven. Seems like they lasted longer for me years ago when I made #10 tin can heaters.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I usually set these down inside a plastic milk carrier with a a wood block below them so that the rim of the can contacted the waterer but so that thewater itself cannot tip.

6. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    N/E Texas
    I found that a 25W bulb was not enough. The new 60W bulb keeps it liquid down to 16F so far.

Night lights are usually 4-5W, so no, they're not enough.

7. clairabean

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Ok. So I made one with a 40watt bulb. It is hot to the touch. Not burning, but pretty dang hot. Is that what I am aiming for?

8. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    N/E Texas
    When I tested mine indoors, yes it was. Outside it's warm but not hot.

9. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I use a 40w appliance bulb also. I do have trouble with my water sliding off the cookie tin. don't know if roosters are chasing around it or what the problem is. Working on a solution for that, but kept water thawed inside coop no other heat in there.I have a plastic waterer on the cookie tin. I also have a heated plastic waterer that works well.

10. B'villechicken

B'villechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Syracuse NY Area
    Quote:Yes, they will knock it off the tin. I have seel people use bungee cords to secure the waterer. I used an old small cookie sheet that has a rim around it. I screwed it to the wall through the rim while it was sitting on the cookie tin. I then placed the waterer on the cookie sheet and the hens can't skid it off the heater.

David

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by