1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So this is odd

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aworldintime, Aug 22, 2016.

1. aworldintime

aworldintime Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    B.C
    Ok so my muscovy went broody today. Only thing that is odd is she is sitting in the nest but the eggs are outside of the nest but around her. Anyone have this issue before? This is thr first time I have had a broody duck.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Is it extremely hot there? they will cool the eggs so they don't over cook them. Watch to see if later she isn't covering them.

3. aworldintime

Feb 25, 2016
    B.C
    Yes it has been very hot. She wasnt sitting on them during that time. She started after our hot spell. It looked as if she left only 3 out from the rest. I will be going to peak soon and see if she changed how she is sitting. Our heat is supposed to go back up today to. I wonder if they started to self incubate!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Give the eggs 5-7 days then candle you should be able to tell veining by then. I have seen mine place their eggs out around them to cool them off. Keep us updated on what's going on but relax these girls are experts and know alot more about what to do then we give them credit for.

5. aworldintime

Feb 25, 2016
    B.C
    Ya I never thought she would cool them. But that totally adds up lol. So new to all of this. My bantams are about ready to sit to. Were all excited! I keep harassing the old owner of the muscovys about what she is doing.seems I'm making her annoyed with me so I came here to ask what is left of my questions lol.
    And I will for sure!!! And I cant wait to candle them. If she lets me lol

6. purslanegarden

purslanegarden Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2016
    Well that's certainly some insight into how the ducks decide when to sit on them so that they will all hatch around the same 24 hour period. Awesome!

One year, I did get some quail eggs before that hatched a few days earlier than the rest, in an incubator. The quail hens never at on them but I gathered them up for a few days before putting them all in the incubator together. My only thoughts were that with the temperatures greater than 100-F, it's possible some of those early eggs had begun developing already.

7. aworldintime

Feb 25, 2016
    B.C
    It is lol. This is such a cool thing to be a part of. And we want to do it right lol.
    Ya see and we have had 30 degree weather recently. And about to get it again to. I dont want them hatching to soon. Were leavingat the end of the month for a few days lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by