So this probably is a really dumb question, but....

GemmaGA

Songster
Jun 11, 2020
NE Georgia (near Athens)
My beloved rooster, Scuba, who was like a pet to me (he was awesome!) was killed by a predator about 2 weeks ago. I am pretty sure I had collected fertile eggs before he was taken, but they have been in the refrigerator.

Even if I did have fertilized eggs, it's probably been too long for them to be viable to hatch, correct?

Sorry if it's a dumb question - was just thinking maybe I could hatch a little half-Scuba :)

My beloved rooster, Scuba, who was like a pet to me (he was awesome!) was killed by a predator about 2 weeks ago. I am pretty sure I had collected fertile eggs before he was taken, but they have been in the refrigerator.

Even if I did have fertilized eggs, it's probably been too long for them to be viable to hatch, correct?

Sorry if it's a dumb question - was just thinking maybe I could hatch a little half-Scuba :)
Nope, you can still hatch them. Oldest refrigerated eggs I've incubated, & hatched successfully were 3 weeks old. Viability maybe reduced slightly.

@MysteryChicken & @jher77
Wow, not what I expected to hear! Maybe I will give it a shot and just see...won't hurt anything and my 7 hens are laying pretty consistently now so we have no shortage of eggs for eating :)

Thank you!
You're welcome.

The world of chickens is amazing sometimes.

Just make sure the eggs you use weren't washed, they need to have the bloom on them. But your good to incubate.
Washed, or not washed doesn't matter much. All my refrigerated eggs are washed, & hatching them was successful.

Back
Top Bottom