SO Ticked I could PULL my hair out!! >:(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Dec 28, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Power went out 3 hours ago an just came back on 30min ago.. temps outside are almost 20* and temp in the incubator dropped to 67*F... So peeved! One egg I set a week ahead of the other 8.. it was set with another egg that had died Christmas morning.. Im too scared to candle that egg now because I seen feet lastnight an I dont want to be disappointed if they baby died [​IMG]
    That egg has until Jan 5th, to be in Lockdown...

2. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    If you kept your incubator closed it may have maintained enough heat. Just a few days ago my puppy knocked the plug of one of my incubators out of the wall and I didn't notice for a few hours. I was really upset but i figured what the heck and I plugged it back in. I candled yesterday and the embryos are growing! Also a couple years ago I had a broody hen in my garage and about 1/2 way through the incubation she somehow managed to get out of her enclosure but couldn't get back in...poor girl was frantic when I found her and her eggs were cold... I put her back in and she continued to brood and I ended up with seven chicks out of a clutch of 9 eggs! Don't give up!!! [​IMG]

3. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Fight the urge to candle for now so you keep the lid on and let things warm up again and stay at a consistent temp. Nothing with change if you candle now anyways.
    2.5 hours is not very long and the eggs would not have been at 65. The eggs will keep their heat better than the ambiant air temperature. We had power outages for two hatches and both were still successful despite outages for 8 and 10 hours. One we were able to wrap the bator but the other we slept through and work up to 60 degrees in the bator....I had a little panic attack of that one but all was okay despite.
    Will keep my fingers crossed for you.

4. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    There is no urge to candle.. I got the cruddiest present on Christmas when I seen the egg I REALLY wanted to hatch had died.. I dont want to be disappointed again.. I'll open the bator tonight to turn them for the 2nd time today but im not really getting hopeful anything will come out of this..

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Yeah, the AIR temp might have dropped to 67F. But the internal temp of the eggs won't have dropped anything like as much as that. If you remember that it can take up to 24 hours for eggs to reach 99.5F internally when you first start them off in your bator, it stands to reason that it could take the same amount of time for them to cool right down. In two and a half hours, your eggs probably only dipped a few degrees. Don't stress about it. They should be fine.

And think about this:

Brinsea's brand new version of their Octagon bators comes with a settable 'power off' function to deliberately cool your eggs down for a aset period every day, as their research has shown that daily cooling increasesh hatch rates and chick vitality. In a year or so, we'll probably all be cooling our eggs every day!

6. abbylane35

abbylane35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Lodi, New York
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  7. Garrisonkidsduo2

Garrisonkidsduo2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Williford, Arkansas
    When we lost power I took a throw blanket and wrapped it around my incubator, so the heat would stay in it. I would say leave them it may take them a couple more days to hatch but you can try. Next time you loose power get a heavy towel or thick blanket and put around the incubator just remember when the power comes back on remove the towel or blanket.

8. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    best of luck [​IMG]

9. curious1969

curious1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    Don't worry too much [​IMG] I had an egg hatch recently (about day 10-12) that the broody was off of overnight. The egg was extremely cold to the touch and I candled it and there was no movement, but I thought gotta try, so I popped it in my bator and within an hour or so it was bouncing all over the place and she is now the one who comes up and sits on my lap [​IMG] So don't give up yet!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by