So today we added 6 to our flock...is this "chicken math"?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by buzymom13, Jul 18, 2010.

1. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG] There was a guy down the road who had some 8 week (about) chicks for sale. I stopped to take a look and came home with 6 more chicks.

Not sure what breed they are exactly...2 I'm hoping are "sussex" 1 is a buff color with white legs (he hatched it from his mixed flock) and 1 I'm not sure (Welsummer ?) and 2 came from the hatchery but were add on pullets and he's not sure what kind they are...

Is this the "chicken math" I've heard tell of? [​IMG]

[​IMG] Whatever we're enjoying ourselves...

Any guesses as to what we got today?

Thankx guys! [​IMG]

Peepadeez
    [​IMG]

Pearl
    [​IMG]

LBB
    [​IMG]

YT
    [​IMG] This is the one with white legs

No Name for this one yet
    [​IMG]

Marbles
    [​IMG]

Thankx again!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, you are now infected with Gallus Domesticus Mathematicus, which is apparently incurable.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    But what nice color to add to your flock.

Remember, if they are your chickens, you are the only person qualified to count the chickens, counting chickens is a difficult process, and OFTEN times there appears more chickens there, than the qualified person is saying. That is an illusion.

The qualified persons count is what he/she wants it to be, and is considered finale.

That's my story, and I am sticking to it.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yup, that's chicken math. They are adorable.

I hate to burst your bubble, but the first one is a rooster. And maybe the last one.

5. buzymom13

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

We're hoping for more pullets... but maybe we'll just have to build another area for roosters? LOL Now I know I'm sounding like an addict... [​IMG]

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    me think you got 4 roos...

7. buzymom13

Apr 20, 2010
    Which ones are you saying are roos? The buff colored was identified as a pullet. The two black with brown wings were also claimed as pullets from the hatchery. I didn't know about the white ones or the 1st one as they were hatched from the man's mixed flock.

We don't need more roos we need more pullets. [​IMG]

The buff one and two black ones are 8 wks and the others are about 6 wks.... difference in age maybe makes them look rooish?

[​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:At the age they are now, any of them with a pink comb and getting pink wattles in is a rooster.

9. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I am onto this chicken math and multiplying with it :>P Today we are going to get a few more silkies as I felt sorry for the lone silkie in our bunch. We started with 12 Subtract 2 because of darn dog. So that leave 10 but since they weren't chicks I searched and searched and found what I wanted did the math and it was just as much for double the amount that I wanted so I ordered 65 chicks- 36 came on Friday. Since they were taking so long and I was watching the 10 in the pen ignore the silkie I looked on-line and found silkie chicks- so we are about to go and get said chicks and I will let each child pick one- +3 :>P We will see if I can resist the urge to also pick one for mom!

So at this moment I have 30 on order 10 in the pen and 36 chicks in the brooder with 3 or 4 coming as well :>) Yep I seem to have the chicken Math!

Yours look Great! Have fun with them!

10. buzymom13

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

I'm just sitting here giggling to myself... Just so you know...chicken math effects other "animal" breeds too. I started with 6 chicks in the spring...was given 4 more(aunt got them and then didn't want them)...then was given a silkie roo...then friend had a mama Pekin duck with babies ...sooooo... 2 ducks added ...then we got our new 6 chicks and next weekend...Yep...we're getting bunnies.

So Watch out! Chicken math also works for ducks and bunnies, etc. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by