SO upset...need to do crop surgery...UPDATE!!!! I DID IT!!! (Picture)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PamB, Jul 15, 2011.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I DON'T want to do this, but I have to or she will die. She has been blocked for a while and I've tried everything with her. I plan on doing the surgery tomorrow morning. I'm a wreck. Neither my DH or my DD will help because they can't stomach it. I'm honestly not sure that I can. I hope so.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Take it easy!!!! You can do this!!! that is what you have to believe if you want to save her!!! There was a great thread on here last night about doing crop sergery. May be you want to look that up before you start. They give you great step by step directions with photoes.. Good luck.. I'd help if i could.. [​IMG]

Mollie

3. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:Thanks for the support! That is what I need right now. I've looked up that thread and studied it...as well as any other information I could find on this. I know what to do, but I've just never done anything like this before. I'm having my coffee now and waking up a bit and then I will get everything ready/sterilized and get this over with.

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

You will do fine. Just remember you are doing what she needs for you to do. You are being a good chicken-mom! The first time for any type of cutting is the hardest and tou are starting with one of the most radical, but after today, everything else you will have to do will be a piece of cake. WE'RE RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Please let us know how it goes... I'm pulling for you and your girl!!

6. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    IT IS DONE!!! Everything went well...except I'm not overly confident in my stitching job. I can barely sew a button...ugh. BUT, she is up and walking around and preening herself. I just darkened where she is so she will rest a while. I didn't realize how thin she is because of her large crop. Here is what was in her crop....

[​IMG]

7. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Yea!!!!! Great job! You're a WONDERFUL chickie momma!!

9. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Thank you. I'm SHOCKED that I was able to do this. But, I felt I had no choice and now that I see how thin she is, I don't believe she would have lived much longer like that. I just gave her some water w/antibiotics and she drank that right up. She is doing fine now. I'm sure she can't wait to eat something....but I read that she shouldn't eat until tomorrow. She won't eat yogurt, so I plan to give her a little egg first thing tomorrow morning.

10. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    Ok I have looked at the picture, but can't figure it out. What was in her crop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by