So upset tonight.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by WyandotteTX, May 21, 2010.

1. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    I am a coach here in Texas and one of our young athletes, an 8th grader, took his own life tonight. Saw him at practice today and all seemed well with him. So upset for his family and the life that could have been for this fine young man.

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    [​IMG]

3. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    Oh I am SOO sorry. Just thinking about that is tearing me up. My daughter is 14 and I watch ever so carefully for her emotional state. The signs of suicidal ideation are subtle. We are trained at work in the crisis unit to look for and listen for certain signs, but we are never 100% in our decision making of anothers' stability either.
    I truly feel for you, and that boy's family and friends. This will be a hard time for all of you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers for sure. My one recommendation to you is PLEASE seek and utilize all of the counseling and grieving opportunities you have. The sooner you start, the sooner you heal.

[​IMG] My hugs, prayers, best wishes, and love to all of you in your town.
    Erin

4. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I am so sorry, it must be so very hard. Teenagers are a difficult group to read, as they are often moody. I too am trained (old psych nurse) in suicide prevention and know there is little you can do for some teens, as they are often emotional and impossible to figure out. I have had teens come to the hospital with an unopened bottle of Tylenol, proclaiming suicidal ideations, seeking help. However, those who are serious about it, are usually very good at hiding their true feelings. It is such a tragedy. I wish you the best in the very tough times you are about to go through. HenZ

5. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I am so sorry.

6. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

The suicide rate in general is so disturbing, but that kids would go that far and in such numbers just SAD.

I can understand folks with a terminal and painful illness... that's no different then a family member deciding to pull the plug.
    (so says the one that hasn't been there, may change that tune if I ever was)

But for a perfectly healthy, not abused, not addicted person to do such a thing to me is the most selfish hateful thing in the world.

And, I've made that opinion known to all those around me.

The message flies right over my mom's head. Which is unfortunate since it's her 15+ attempts that got me to this state, but there you go.

That family, his friends, his teachers you all have my sympathy. I know how hard it was dealing with attempts.
    I cannot begin to imagine the additional pain of a successful attempt.

7. ebwy

ebwy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2009
    UK
    to the OP - I am so very sorry. It's just tragic [​IMG]

Quote:from the perspective of someone who tried, but lacked the courage to finish the job - I was absolutely certain that everyone I loved would be better off without me. Especially my family. I wanted to do it for them, as much as for me. I ws certain that I was just a problem to them, and that yes they would be upset but that long-term their lives would be a lot better without my existence. And to a certain degree, I was correct. I decided to not be so giving, though.

It's not selfishness, it's mental illness. A "healthy" person doesn't get suicidal tendencies to the extent that they would attempt to do something about them.
    if a person is healthy, they would be able to ignore the temporary urges, or know to get help to deal with the cause of them. Depressives experience negative emotions to a far greater degree than a normal person.

edit to add : I was an adult, not a teenager at that time

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Oh, I am so sorry WyandotteTX. [​IMG] Such a difficult age...and in such a difficult world...my thoughts and prayers are with you, his family and your community.

Let's not make this into a "why teens commit suicide" thread. The OP is really hurting right now and just needs our thoughts, prayers and encouragement.

9. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    hugs. I am praying for his family and freinds and you too.

10. Michele_Lynd

Michele_Lynd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Indaina
    Im so sory for the loss of one so young:hugs:hit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by