So upset. =(

mangled

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
The Wilds of Western PA
We've had a fresh run of kitty drop offs this year, and there's a couple females we haven't been able to get up to the spay clinic. I knew the one kitty was due to drop her kittens any time, so we've been putting out extra food for them, etc., to keep her close. I don't want the kittens to become feral.

Well, last night about 230, I heard what I thought was a cat fight, and got up to investigate. I'm not sure exactly what had transpired, but Mama kitty was standing over a kitten in the driveway, standing down our collie dog, and there was a kitten all ready dead on the brick sidewalk. Our collie dog was trying to get at the kitten and Mama kitty was fighting her off.

I shooed her away and checked the kitten in the driveway, only to find that kitten had been mauled, too. I'm not sure it's going to live. Mama kitty went right back to the rest of the litter, and we got her set up in our quail pen. No quail yet, so she's locked up tight, and she and kittens are safe.

I'm so angry with my dog. I guess she was just being a dog, but geeze, I've never seen her go after the kittens before. We're working on getting the last few females spayed, but there's always new arrivals. We're the drop off point, the farm on the dirt road, yeah, like we need more cats. There's always kittens running around, and if she starts killing kitties, she has to go.

Anybody have similar troubles? Should I be concerned about the dog? Man, poor kitties.
sad.png

Em

It may have to do with the fact that they were just born----you know, the smell of blood. I would just keep an eye on her around the cats. We have a cat that is about ready to have her kitens, and although she wants to go back out so badly, I won't let she her. Our GSD chases cats, and I wouldn't want something like that to happen----she isn't able to get the adult cats, due to the fact that she's 9 now and isn't fast enough. Hope the kitty makes it.

Did you see the dog kill the kitten? Could have been another cat, a raccoon, anything and the dog may have chased the culprit away.

wow, sorry to hear that. Our dogs like to play with cats and we've had kittens around here and they tend to play with them until they pretty much bring them home. Not really sure why a dog hat has been around cats would go after a kitten but its likely because either the kittens are really small and may look like rodents tot he dog or maybe because the dog can still smell blood on them. in any case sorry you had to go through that.
I live on a farm too and in this area there are several farms as well. we don't exactly live inside the town but more in the back roads and we get the irresponsible people who think its always best to drop off their cat or dog to fend for themselves. in this are we have so many predators, wolves, foxes, bears, bobcats etc....and when they do this they have the mentality of either something will get them or someone will take the cat or dog in. our rescue center is overflowing with litters of cats which are spread out into foster homes awaiting permanent homes. the dogs seems to take the brunt of it all, 90 percent of the dogs found in our back roads are found injured and almost dead because their owner decided it was best to try to shoot the dog. what is worse is that while some people may recognize the dog and know who the owner might be there is no proof they did it so they can't be charged. the story almost always goes the same way. people don't seem to understand that getting a pet is a lifelong responsibility no matter what!! Obviously we all know some people should never be allowed to have pets!! I hope you find homes for those kitties soon. Good luck!!

Quote:
Well, as far as the dog goes, she's a drop off, too.

I'm pretty certain it was the dog. When a coon or predator comes around, she barks her fool head off. There was no barking.

I won't keep the dog if she's going to start predation on my other little furries. I'll keep an eye on her, we won't just get rid of her because of this one incident, but two strikes and she's outta here. What if she starts on my chickens?

Em

Quote:
Well, as far as the dog goes, she's a drop off, too.

I'm pretty certain it was the dog. When a coon or predator comes around, she barks her fool head off. There was no barking.

I won't keep the dog if she's going to start predation on my other little furries. I'll keep an eye on her, we won't just get rid of her because of this one incident, but two strikes and she's outta here. What if she starts on my chickens?

Em

she prolly went after teh kitty for a few reasons and somebody touched on a couple

They are rather small - prey drive in dogs...
They come out into the world while mama isn't at her best and unusual noises for dog - prey drive in dogs...
They are bloody and act injured because they are new born - prey drive in dogs...
A collie dog is a working dog, both herding and protection... If the baby kitty looked like a rodent it's fair game... - prey drive in dogs...

So this is what I really see as the problem.. Mama kitty picked a poor nesting spot. She'll live and learn. This won't be the first liter that this has happened too in the history of time.. and honestly I doubt the dog was being predatory, just the nature of the breed you have.

Back
Top Bottom