So Upset

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by da417, Feb 1, 2013.

1. da417

da417 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    My roo is dead. Killed 2 days ago. I believe it was a hawk due to the description of the remains and the fact the giant [email protected]#$ had the gall to pearch himself in a tree near the coop today. The girls were beside themselves with fear and the crows were attacking. I am taking matters into my own hands, so to speak. I am so sad at the loss of my roo, and so angry.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I've never had a loss to a hawk so I can't say I know what you are going through. But I know I would be furious as well. I think if it had been me I would view it as my roo protecting his ladies and was lost in battle - one of the reasons to have a roo in the first place is to protect the flock. Still, I would be saddened as well! Good luck to you in dealing with the marauder!

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You can collect the eggs for two weeks and incubate them. Just turn them 2 to 3 times a day as they are stored to build up enough to set.

Sounds like a good rooster who put himself between the girls and a predator. Worth carrying on his line. Good roosters never die they just reincarnate.

4. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    Poor thing :( not going to ask what you're going to do to the hawk but I'm sure id do the same. I'm very much an animal person, would never hurt an animal, but if anything f**ks with MY animals..,

5. da417

da417 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    Thanks everyone. When i got up this morning there they were...two of them, waiting in the oak. I wish I would have been "prepared". I called my son who is on his way over to help me "figure all this out". I may take the advice to try to get a "son" of my roo because he was great. I have a bantum roo who is very protective but he is just to small for this job. He and his flock are in a covered pen. I wish I could cover my big girls but there are just too many.

6. da417

da417 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    Oh Dear Lord! I just am beside myself now. I have been watching all day and I swear than da#&ed hawk knew the moment I took my eyes off them. I happened to look out the window and didn't see any of the girls out in the pen except one white ne that seemed to le laying down near the far edge of the fence. I thought that it would be strange for her to lay down...its cold! Went out and the hawk was standing right over top of her and it freaked me out so bad!!!!! I ram over to my girl and her eyes were closed and there was a trickle of blood coming out of her nose. I thought she was dead but when I picked her up she opeend her eyes and I couldn't find a place on her waywhere. I took her and held her for a but till she calmed down. I put her back in the coop and locked everybody up. Oh dear heavens....I am just beside myself. I have to go away for a few days and I have no one to watch them and I know that deamon will be back!!! Will it hurt to keep them locked up for a few days? The coop is about 6 x 6 x 9. I can't stand the thought of leaving because I know when I come back I will have dead chickens.....

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Unless you can cover your pen before you go away, you have no other option than to leave them cooped up. You are right - that hawk will continue to return as long as there is a food source - very sadly your chickens. Keep an eye on your white hen there is still the possibility that she has internal injuries or may go into shock. Good luck with her and with this situation.

8. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I am so sorry for your loss. I have not lost one to hawks but went close one time as I saw a hawk grab my bantie I raced over yelling and he dropped her. Have lost many animals over the years to predators it is never easy and always heart breaking. I agree keep them locked up while you are away.

9. da417

da417 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    Thank you. I think I am going to bring my little white hen in till I get back and leave the others cooped.

10. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    Omg, I'm so sorry. :( have a nice hot bath and a cuppa tea to help calm down. You know they're safe in their coop. Can your son or a neighbor check on them while you're away for your peace of mind?
    *hugs*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by