SO VERY MADDDD

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TherryChicken, Dec 7, 2012.

1. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    We got our lavender orpington eggs not long ago and after 2 days of sitting i let them in the bator. Well day 7, there was NOTHING opened them up, either their air sacks were dissattatched OF the yolk was scrambled.. Our mail people just don't care. Plus I am getting in more, but are bantam cochins :(. I'm scared the same thing will happen. What should I do? We are now having some plumming problems and don't have much money either.. These orpingtons were for my mom and now i have to break it to her. She is going to be so upset and already has so much on her plate..

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I am so sorry to hear this : ( I have ordered a bunch of eggs already, either they are infertle, hatch as something else, broken and scrambled or rolling air cells! its extremely upsetting, I am in Pa and I swear its a main warehouse around phila or something! uggggg
    I lost so much money now its sickening.

3. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    That really sucks i'm sorry about this.. I also have order $60 worth of eggs, I just hope sice they will be LEFT at the post office it will turn out better. We all need to find a way to help keep them from shaking around LOL

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I have taken to look for local suppliers. I am new and not that fussy but within 80 miles I have found people selling hatching eggs for RIR, leghorns, marans and mutt style barnyard eggs with a RIR roo.

I am using the mutt eggs for my first incubation - 18 of 18 have wiggling stuff in them at 10 days.

I even found 2 suppliers on ebay i can pick up from.

As I am carrying future batches overseas with me I also dont want them too old when I pick them up. I have a 16 hr flight, a 4 hr lay over, another 1 hr flight and a 4 hr drive. Add that to pick up time, collection and i am looking at 4 days before I can sit them in the coolest place I can find for 24 hrs to settle them down.

5. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Smart. The route through the postal system, UPS et all included, is fraught with peril, particularly for eggs.

Avoid at all costs.

IMHO, of course [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  6. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    We got our lavender orpington eggs not long ago and after 2 days of sitting i let them in the bator. Well day 7, there was NOTHING opened them up, either their air sacks were dissattatched OF the yolk was scrambled.. Our mail people just don't care. Plus I am getting in more, but are bantam cochins :(. I'm scared the same thing will happen. What should I do? We are now having some plumming problems and don't have much money either.. These orpingtons were for my mom and now i have to break it to her. She is going to be so upset and already has so much on her plate.

Shipped are a REAL gamble.

I have had zero hatches from shipped. more than once. upsetting.
    I right now am still waiting on some eggs shipped dec 3 .It has been 7 days now.. today!The PO assures me delivery will be today .
    I dont have much hope on these eggs i was so excited about.
    I have had 9 or 10? shipped hatches.I never expect more than a couple chicks but a few have been zero.IMy total average about 2 1/2 -3 chicksBut if I added up all the total eggs i have started with...Estimate 27 chicks from about140 - 150 eggs. well % is way lower.
    By the way i have read a loose air cell can still hatch out a viable chick.I dont let them sit before incubation that long as i feel they have better chance if sitting less time out of the bator especially b/c you arent sure how old they were when shipped. Each day gives them less viability
    .I have started to let mine sit only 12 hours then go in the bator upright incubating for at least another 12.hours Some i have been laying down then Some upHatch,,,3 laying down and 2 werefrom upright.
    .Last hatch i got 4 plus one died zipping but 3 others died at the very end maybe day 19 or 20 so at least they got most of the way to hatch. with this approach
    GOOD Luck with your bantams Maybe someone local has some Lo eggs you can try
    Hatch rate for local is about 85%
    Yeah I dont EVER count all the money i have spend on shipped eggs but lets say i have some REALLY expesive chickenes!! HAHA

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  7. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    I've heard, but the thing ison day 7 of incubation, there was nothing. cracked them open and still nothing

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I won't have cracked them open at 7 days, I would have waited until at least 10 days....where their veins? Did they appear feritile?

9. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    That's what I'm saying, there was NOTHING, no veigns no blood, NOTHING.. It was just an egg. I had some in the bator that were 6 days and they had veigning in them.. So I cracked them open and the yolks were scrambled, the air pockets were un attatched, or both. I ONLY cracked them open because there was nothing while I candled them. They were fertile, but were shooken up so badly they wern't growing or doing what they need to be doing..

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Sorry about that, try. try again. Are you sure you got good eggs? Even when the mail persons mishandles my eggs I can at least get one or two to hatch, and that is with messed up air cell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by