so very upset

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by scottschick, Sep 26, 2011.

1. scottschick

scottschick New Egg

Mar 21, 2011
    hi everyone my very big emergency is something is taking my chickens, they are taking everything but some feathers !! what ever it is it has taken around 20 chickens in under a year !whatever it is it is taking my laying chickens and with in the last week at least 10 of my very favorite layers. I am at wits end and i miss my black betty (a solid black sex link who would sit in my lap [​IMG]) I have three roosters are they just not doing their job ? i am very new to this and i watch my flock dwindle and want to fix it please help me !!

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    My guess would be a raccoon getting them but I'm no expert since none of mine has been taken by anything.

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I am so sorry!!! [​IMG] Maybe you can setup a game cam, some traps, and maybe an electric fence.

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana! It would help if you post this in the Predator section. Also make sure you put in the post when they are being taken and what kind of housing you have them in!!

5. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] and welcome to BYC [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! I would definitely check out the Predator section, but if they are only killing / taking one at a time, I would bet fox over raccoon.

7. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Welcome to BYC and I'm sorry for your loss:hugs Must be a raccoon or possum

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

So sorry!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas and welcome to BYC! Sorry you are losing some birds to predators. [​IMG] Are they free range or is something getting them in their coop or run? If it's there you may just have to do some serious predator-proofing. Best of luck to you and sorry for your losses!

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If the chickens are confined to a coop/run then it's time to go over it carefully and find out where the predator, whatever it is, is getting in and do some serious reinforcing.

If the chickens are free range there's not much you can do. Predators eventually discover the buffet and stick around until it's gone. Trapping may catch you a critter. You'll still keep loosing chickens to the next and the next and so on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by