so very upset

scottschick

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
hi everyone my very big emergency is something is taking my chickens, they are taking everything but some feathers !! what ever it is it has taken around 20 chickens in under a year !whatever it is it is taking my laying chickens and with in the last week at least 10 of my very favorite layers. I am at wits end and i miss my black betty (a solid black sex link who would sit in my lap
sad.png
) I have three roosters are they just not doing their job ? i am very new to this and i watch my flock dwindle and want to fix it please help me !!

My guess would be a raccoon getting them but I'm no expert since none of mine has been taken by anything.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Louisiana! It would help if you post this in the Predator section. Also make sure you put in the post when they are being taken and what kind of housing you have them in!!

welcome-byc.gif
from the Finger Lakes of New York! I would definitely check out the Predator section, but if they are only killing / taking one at a time, I would bet fox over raccoon.

Hello from Kansas and welcome to BYC! Sorry you are losing some birds to predators.
sad.png
Are they free range or is something getting them in their coop or run? If it's there you may just have to do some serious predator-proofing. Best of luck to you and sorry for your losses!

If the chickens are confined to a coop/run then it's time to go over it carefully and find out where the predator, whatever it is, is getting in and do some serious reinforcing.

If the chickens are free range there's not much you can do. Predators eventually discover the buffet and stick around until it's gone. Trapping may catch you a critter. You'll still keep loosing chickens to the next and the next and so on.

Back
Top Bottom