So, wait...how many days is today?

tiffanyh

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Connecticut
I just read two different views and I want to see what the general thought is....if you put you eggs in the bator on Monday mid morning...is that day 1, or is Tuesday day 1. Therefore, would you expect a hatch on a Sunday or Monday???

I realize it is not super important in the big scheme of things, but I was curious what you all do??

I've downloaded an 'incubation sheet' from www.wheatcroftpoultry.co.uk/incubationsheet.pdf (I expect there are other ones). They count setting day as day zero, so the following day would be day one!

Opinions may differ though!
hu.gif

Last edited:
The rule of thumb is if you set chicken eggs on Friday they will hatch on Friday, its easy to remember that way. If they are small bantams the will sometimes hatch on Thursday. That of course is given that all the factors are correct as you go along. Temperature will slow down or speed up a hatch.

Okay, well that makes me on Day 23 now then for an egg that was at low temps due to a bad incubator. Ill give it a few more days then since upon candling it ( I did yesterday because I thought maybe it was time to give up) I can still see small spots of veins and clear fluid.

Ill hope for one of those little miracles I read about here on this website.

Tiffany, I hate to rain on your parade but veins and clear fluid at day 23 does not sound good. Usually all you can see with a fully developed chick is a large black space and the open space that has grown, which is the air cell.

Most of the egg is actually full, there is one little corner I can see through near the large air cell. It is just a small corner hear and there which I can see clearly into the egg and see some edges of veins.I know what you mean though....the eggs is actually moving in the bator occasionally so I guess as of right now it is alive, but Im feeling pretty discouraged as each day passes. As I said, we had some temp problems early on. I guess only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom