So we are getting ready to start our pallet coop and I have questions!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChKnLuvRs, Dec 19, 2012.

1. ChKnLuvRs

ChKnLuvRs Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    We are starting our plans for our 12'x 4' pallet coop and I have some questions

What would be good to keep the wood off of the ground so it doesn't rot on the bottom?

How many chickens is that big enough for?

How many nesting boxes do I need for how many chickens?

And how do we put on the nesting boxes or build them, and attach them to the outside?

I would also love to see pictures for ideas!
    Our last coop was fly by night job it turned our pretty good. But I want to plan this one a lot better.

And goooo.....

2. scott473

scott473 New Egg

Mar 20, 2012
    Canastota, NY
    I am planning on using pallets for mine also. But I am using 12' 4x4 posts 3' in the ground kinda like a pole barn and doing a 2x6 floor covered with plywood and linoleum. Then using the pallets for the walls. As for the rest, i'm still researching and cant give an answer. lol

3. ChKnLuvRs

Dec 12, 2012
    Ok. Wow. Sounds like it will be pretty nice

4. BMaverick

BMaverick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    Cross Plains, TN
    Dad and I made the coop from wooden shipping crate-pallets. Basically, we turned them up-side-down to allow the bottom to be the bare ground. This way, cleaning the coop is far easier. Also, to keep the base wood off of the ground, we added 12-inch hard wheels (like a chicken-tractor). The half-sized cinder blocks would work too. The ground on the inside has straw for the winter. The coop is 6x6x5 tall. The nesting boxes are on the left and right sides. The middle has a 2x4 beam to allow the hop up from the ground and then to the nesting boxes. This helps the hens too since the boxes are high up and seeing if one is full or not. The beam also allows the hens to perch if needed. The access doors are flush with the coop.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. KingR0o5t3r

KingR0o5t3r Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Vail AZ
    if the chickens are never let out of your 4'x12', then its big enough for 4 or 5. if they're freeranging a lot of the time, or if thhey have a seperate run, then thats big enough for 10 -12 chickens. one nesting box is enough for 4 or 5 hens.i use five gallon buckets and cut a hole in the side for nesting boxes, then set them on a shelf, you could also do this with cardboard boxes or milkcrates, or anything else really.... so for yours, you just build a shelf on the outside, and have a hole in the side of the coop.

6. ChKnLuvRs

Dec 12, 2012
    They have a run and when we get home from work they free range

7. KingR0o5t3r

KingR0o5t3r Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Vail AZ
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see its very ghetto haha but it cost me next to nothing and it works

8. ChKnLuvRs

Dec 12, 2012
    Of course

9. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    my coop is 4 x 12 I have 9 standard sized chickens, they have a 12 x 22 run so, aren't inside all the time..I'm going to double my coop space, only because I 'can". otherwise I'd probably keep it that size , so it should be good for you, but others on here are right, always build BIGGER:)

1 person likes this.
  10. ChKnLuvRs

Dec 12, 2012
    I agree. When I first started I just thought " oh six is good!" Haha but now I'm at 13 and I want more!!! Haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by