So we got a new 7 mos old Chocolate Lab...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    We were VERY worried about her eating/chasing/killing our chickens so we take her out on a short chain at first and she wanted to chase them SO badly! And I mean VERY badly lol. She was a city dog and never seen chickens before this. A young girl owned her (a friend of my daughters) and she has to move to Germany (in air force) and she could not take her with so I said we could try her out.

So we did this short leash thing for a week and then decide to let her use a longer leash and see how she does. She started chasing them and I yelled NO very loudly. She listened and came back to me [​IMG] I still wasn't trusting that she would be ok so kept doing the long leash thing for a few more days. She got better with each day and soon she was ready to run free and see how she does. We let her lose while watching her and she started chasing them and we yelled NO! She stopped and just grabbed a branch to chew on [​IMG] We can now allow her out ALONE with the chickens and she is an angel with them! I am SO proud of her and amazed that she is only 6 mos old and is SO good. My daughters friend did a fantastic job with her!

NOW if we can only teach her NOT to beat us with her TAIL! OUCH!!!!

2. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    That's wonderful! What a great girl.

3. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    honestly, I wouldn't trust her completely unsupervised with them. My dog is 8 yrs old, never harmed a chicken in his life and he STILL isn't trusted around them alone. All it takes is one time....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by