So We got our Peeps Home...Ideas for things to do...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FarmallKlines, Mar 19, 2013.

1. FarmallKlines

FarmallKlines New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    Elliottsburg, PA
    We are also new to the raising idea. We got our SLW's home last week, have them under a lamp, water, and the whole nine. Kids handle them for about 15-20 minutes a day. Water is fresh, food filled, shavings on floor, etc.

Looking for Ideas of what else has to happen or things to do with them. (Kinda boring "for me" at this stage.) Just want to make sure We are doing all we can with them and also not being over bearing too..

Any suggestions would help.... Great site Great people LOVE IT....

RARA Farmall

2. Babyfarm

Babyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    I hear ya. My chicks are about 3 - 4 weeks old and they are getting more "playful." I just started them on chic grit so that maybe I can give them chick treats. As for when I can take them out in the grass and play, I am unsure.

3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    You can give them little things to jump off of.. .that is entertaining when they start fluttering around and acting nutty. But nope all they need is warm, and food and water, and it sounds like you have all that covered.

4. jjaazzy

jjaazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    I am very new to this also raising my first group of 5 Silkies. I too want more entertainment for my birds. They are 3 weeks and 4 weeks old today so a trip to the feed store to get baby grit is on my TODO list. Then I will sprout some seeds for nutrition and entertainment value. I have dropped a few things in there in the last few weeks like parsley and romaine lettuce and they didn't want either but I sprouted some cantaloupe seeds and they went crazy for it. One of my littlest ones got a hold of it and started running laps around the enclosure and I think if he could talk was saying. "I got it, I got it! get away from me! I got it, I got it! get away from me! haaa it was so funny!~ I am so thrilled with these little chickies. They have been a great source of entertainment for me as well as a struggle to keep them alive. Now since I have been stuck with the chick starter only, I have been mixing it with a tiny amount of growgel and water from McMurry they love that, and now since they really probably don't need that supplement I just watered down some starter today and they liked it as well. Just something different to break up the day stuck in the Rubbermaid tub.

5. tackleberry

tackleberry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    OZ
    I love it when a chick gets something and starts running around crazy like and peeping as loud as can be. It is so cute. Baby chicks have got to be the cutest animals ever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by