So we have been adopted by a pair of mallards! added some pix

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by babyrnlc, Apr 15, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    It started off that we saw a pair of mallards in a ditch next to our house. We were out feeding the chickens, so we threw some at them. Next day, they were back. They came back off and on for a week now. The other morning I was outside and had not seen them for a couple of days, but heard quacking. They were back and begging I guess. Well today, they flew into the pool, the dogs scared them away once, but they came back.

I am thinking we may have to name them lol. They are beautiful.

Here is the little guy. I am not sure what happened to the female. He has come back with out her. He had come in the yard three times today, one time he took a dip in the pool, ate some grass or seeds and then took a little nap in our yard! I think we may have to name him!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  2. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    You've been adopted [​IMG]

3. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    Quote:We were adopted by a pair of Mallard's years ago, they will now take food from my daughters hand during the winter months. They come and go, but mostly the stay in our pond and follow us around - especially my kids who feed them the most.

4. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:We were adopted by a pair of Mallard's years ago, they will now take food from my daughters hand during the winter months. They come and go, but mostly the stay in our pond and follow us around - especially my kids who feed them the most.

That is cool. It is neat being "chosen"

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Nice photos. The female may have gone to nest somewhere, so she may still be around. They don't really pair up permanently like some birds.

6. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    I love when that happens. We had the same pair of Canada Geese come every year, at least it was the same male, as I could always tell it was him by something on his bill he had that was different. The male was often alone because she was on her nest. One year it was where we could see it well, just below a bridge, but it was usually close by.

7. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    They were both back this morning. They took a little dip in the pool and hung out on the deck. I wonder if they will still like the pool when we get it up and going and it is clean! We just uncovered it so it is pretty nasty. I hope two duck wont make the pool yucky!

Here is my dog Annie (a shepherd mix, who is a suspected chicken killer) watching them. She never went after them and then laid down and ignored them. I am still not sure if she is the one that killed the chicks when the wind storm blew over their run.

[​IMG]

Here is a closer picture of them.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by