1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So we started with a chicken tractor and.....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Splinty, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Splinty

Splinty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    New York
    When we decided to get chickens my husband and I thought we should start with 3 chicks. We are only allowed to have 6 hens where we live. We never owned chickens before so starting small was a good idea. (Now I wish I got all 6) [​IMG] After reading these forums, asking questions, and searching on BYC for answers to many more questions, we decided to build a chicken tractor. While my husband built it, I watched [​IMG]. This is what he decided to build. It ended up being so heavy that we decided to make it permanent and now he is going to build an extended run to it. This is the first time building anything like this and I am so proud of what he did.[​IMG]. Our chicks are named after Lord of the Rings characters so we thought Cluckleberry Ferry (named after Buckleberry Ferry from the first movie) was a good name for their home. The chicks are named Merry, Pippin, & Smeagol. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    That looks great. I went with a different tractor design and feel like the actual coop area is a bit cramped because of the A frame style, but I'm basing that on human standards not chicken standards. The chickens seem to be fine with it but I plan to eventually build a stationary coop similar in design to what you have.

3. Splinty

Jun 14, 2011
    New York
    As he was building it he kept lifting it to make sure he can move it. Everything was going good till he put the roof on. I couldn't budge it. He was still able to inch it along but it was easier to leave it in one spot. If we had known this before he built it we would have just made it permanent to start with.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Your coop is adorable! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] I laughed when I read your names! Please post pictures of Merry, Pippin, and Smeagol! [​IMG]

Our whole family is a big fan of Lord of The Rings! [​IMG]

~ Aspen

5. crystaldegallina

crystaldegallina Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Meigs County, Ohio
    love the name of the coop!

6. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    I love this! It's sooo cute! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    [​IMG]

8. Splinty

Jun 14, 2011
    New York
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Your coop is adorable! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] I laughed when I read your names! Please post pictures of Merry, Pippin, and Smeagol! [​IMG]

Our whole family is a big fan of Lord of The Rings! [​IMG]

~ Aspen

Here is a pic of them at 2 weeks. If you look on my BYC page you can see them the day I got them. I have to take more pics of them now that they are 5 weeks old and bigger. I will do that tonight and post more.
    [​IMG]
    Pippin at 5 weeks
    [​IMG]
    Smeagol at 5 weeks
    [​IMG]
    Merry at 5 weeks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Here is a pic of them at 2 weeks. If you look on my BYC page you can see them the day I got them. I have to take more pics of them now that they are 5 weeks old and bigger. I will do that tonight and post more.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/96086_img_1890.jpg

After looking at your pictures..the names actually fit! [​IMG]

~ Aspen

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  10. plantoneonme

plantoneonme Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    I looked at making one of these but figured it would be too heavy. The ones I saw all had wheels. Maybe he could add wheels and that would help you move it around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by