So we started with a chicken tractor and.....

Splinty

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
New York
When we decided to get chickens my husband and I thought we should start with 3 chicks. We are only allowed to have 6 hens where we live. We never owned chickens before so starting small was a good idea. (Now I wish I got all 6)
hmm.png
After reading these forums, asking questions, and searching on BYC for answers to many more questions, we decided to build a chicken tractor. While my husband built it, I watched
lau.gif
. This is what he decided to build. It ended up being so heavy that we decided to make it permanent and now he is going to build an extended run to it. This is the first time building anything like this and I am so proud of what he did.
hugs.gif
. Our chicks are named after Lord of the Rings characters so we thought Cluckleberry Ferry (named after Buckleberry Ferry from the first movie) was a good name for their home. The chicks are named Merry, Pippin, & Smeagol.
smile.png

96086_332742225120338.jpg

96086_332742288778451.jpg

96086_332742358399523.jpg

That looks great. I went with a different tractor design and feel like the actual coop area is a bit cramped because of the A frame style, but I'm basing that on human standards not chicken standards. The chickens seem to be fine with it but I plan to eventually build a stationary coop similar in design to what you have.

As he was building it he kept lifting it to make sure he can move it. Everything was going good till he put the roof on. I couldn't budge it. He was still able to inch it along but it was easier to leave it in one spot. If we had known this before he built it we would have just made it permanent to start with.

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Your coop is adorable!
love.gif

lau.gif
I laughed when I read your names! Please post pictures of Merry, Pippin, and Smeagol!
bow.gif

Our whole family is a big fan of Lord of The Rings!
thumbsup.gif

~ Aspen

Here is a pic of them at 2 weeks. If you look on my BYC page you can see them the day I got them. I have to take more pics of them now that they are 5 weeks old and bigger. I will do that tonight and post more.
96086_img_1890.jpg

Pippin at 5 weeks
96086_332815694963607.jpg

Smeagol at 5 weeks
96086_332815792355058.jpg

Merry at 5 weeks
96086_332815845288387.jpg

Last edited:
I looked at making one of these but figured it would be too heavy. The ones I saw all had wheels. Maybe he could add wheels and that would help you move it around.

Back
Top Bottom