So we think its a girl....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LeiaLayers5, Mar 14, 2016.

1. LeiaLayers5

LeiaLayers5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]She darkest one in this pic.

[​IMG]Standing by Pekin here.

[​IMG]Back by crate wall...
    So one of my almost 5 week old ducklings shown in all three pictures, who has adult feathers showing, we were told rouen when we got it, we are thinking it is a girl because we heard what we think is quacking from her and so far all her feathers are brown.....what do you think?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  2. cymbaline

cymbaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    Quacking is an almost definite sign that it's a female.

Both male and female mallards (and rouens) will feather in the same initially, then the males molt at around 10-12 weeks into their traditional green head/gray body. A male's bill will also turn yellowish-green, and will stay that way even when the male is in eclipse plumage ("female" coloring), so you can always tell which is which after about 10 weeks of age because of bill color.

So I gather from your signature that the one on the right in all the pics is a golden hybrid? I had seen one that looked just like that at TSC a few weeks ago and posted a pic here and none of us could figure out what breed that cute little baby was, lol. So now I know! [​IMG]

Oh, and judging from the middle pic, if those two are the same age, that is likely a mallard and not a rouen. A rouen would be pretty much the size of the pekin.

3. brookesducks

brookesducks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2016
    Omg the brown one with yellow stripes is so adorable! Do you know what breed she is?

4. LeiaLayers5

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  5. LeiaLayers5

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    I actually have no idea. I posted pics of all of mine early on and was told by people on the boards that its most likely a mixed breed. It is the exact color of my khaki campbell but with stripes in brown and yellow on face. I just picked mine for variety in looks as ducklings so I could tell them apart hopefully later and to experience different breeds haha. Wish I knew.

6. cymbaline

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    Yeah, I was talking about the one you referred to as a hybrid - I recognized all the others. I thought you meant it's a golden 300 hybrid, because it could pass for one of the ducklings on Metzer's page about golden hybrids. If it's not that, then I'm just stumped, because it really doesn't look like any kind of runner either. Please keep posting pics as they get older - I'm dying of curiousity! lol
    And keep listening for quacks...any that are female should start quacking any day now.

7. brookesducks

brookesducks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2016
    kind of ollks like a rouen/khaki cambell mix

8. LeiaLayers5

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop

9. LeiaLayers5

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Current picture of the group. We think now that the mix Luke may be a she based on quacking....second from bottom. Based on how pronounced the quacking is, compared to what we thought Chewy was doing makes us requestion our thoughts on Chewy....the verdict is still out for now on most of them.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  10. cymbaline

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    My goodness they grow so fast! Such cuties! [​IMG]

From what I can see, it looks like she's feathering in like a mallard, right? But she's a lot bigger even though she's younger?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by