So what are my new babies??

Jess86

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Today, I was gifted two beautiful chickens. My kids named them Ella & Jones Lewis (Jonesey). I would really like to know what breed they are, I'm pretty certain Jonesey is mixed but I have no idea about Ella!
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Editing to add that I've now remembered being told that Ella was "pure Hatch". I'm not able to find much online but I think that makes her an American Game? I'm chicken clueless :/

Last edited:
They both look like game birds, either purebred, but poor quality Old English or a combination of several game breeds/varieties.

It does make sense that they would be game chickens, the man who gave them to me used to breed chickens for fighting. He's a preacher now lol.
Thanks everyone for the help!

Welcome to BYC. Yes, the appear to be gamefowl. They are usually very hardy but may require more space than true 'back yard" chickens, as they like to get out there and find their food. They are good fliers and are known to roost 20 feet or higher in a tree. Good luck with them!

Welcome to BYC. Yes, the appear to be gamefowl. They are usually very hardy but may require more space than true 'back yard" chickens, as they like to get out there and find their food. They are good fliers and are known to roost 20 feet or higher in a tree. Good luck with them!

Thank you!

We're working on creating more space for them to forage. :)

Back
Top Bottom