So, what are the "3 French Hens"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

countyroad1330

Thunder Snow 2009!
13 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Oklahoma!
I heard "The 12 Days of Christmas" passing by the TV today, and told my mother that the first 7 are my Christmas list *haha* I was wondering, anyone know what the "3 French hens" are???

Well, actually, this song doesn't refer to literal birds and pipers and milk maids and such. It is actually a song that is full of religious symbolism. So, I guess you can call those French Hens anything you want. Here is a run down on what each verse refers to:

True Love is a reference to God

A Partridge in a pear tree refers to Jesus

2 turtle doves refer to the 2 parts of the Bible ( New and Old Testament)

3 French Hens refers to the 3 virtues listed in 1st Corithians 13:13 (faith, hope and love)

4 calling birds refers to the 1st 4 books of the New Testament. (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John---as a group also called the gospels)

5 golden rings refer to the 1st 5 books of the Old Testament (also called the books of Moses or Pentatuch or it is called the Torah by Jews)

6 geese a laying refers to the 6 days of Creation found in Genesis

7 swans a swimming refers to the 7 gifts of the Holy Spirit. You can find these in Romans 12:6-8 and 1 Corinthians 12:8-11.

8 maids a milking refers to the Beatitudes (Blessed are the.....for they shall.....) These are found in Matthew 5:3-10.

9 ladies dancing refers to the Fruits of the Holy Spirit. (Kindness, gentleness, self control....) These can be found in Galatians 5:22

10 Lords a leaping refers to the 10 rules or 10 commandments

11 Pipers piping are the 11 faithful Apostles that remained (after Judas betrayed the Lord)

12 drummers drumming refer to the 12 points of the Apostles Creed (I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth.....)

So, there you have it...more than you ever wanted to know about this song.
smile.png

Merry Christmas!!

wow you realy know your stuff I still think that if they were realy chickens they would be favorells and marans.

Henry

I'm partial to Marans as well. I'm thinking Marans Guy might feel really sorry for me and send me some lovely eggs from that gorgeous bird he posted a pic of recently.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Wow, that is neat! I did not know, guess you learn something new everyday. As far as the chickens go my vote would be Marans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom