So what do I put in the nest boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GrizFan, May 20, 2011.

1. GrizFan

GrizFan New Egg

May 4, 2011
    The boss says we're using wood shavings in the bottom of the coop. What do we put in the nest boxes? Wood shavings? Sand? Flannel sheets?

Thanks

2. weaselslucks

weaselslucks Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Southington,Ct
    Shavings would work or hay. Around here you can get a bale for 4.99 just make sure it does not get wet

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Flannel sheets - that's good [​IMG] I just use the shavings in my nest boxes as well.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

For reasons I cannot explain, the hens drag, scratch, or kick the straw out of the boxes, but leave the chips alone. [​IMG]

5. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I use hay in the nest boxes for my Chickens and Turkeys. I put a little layer of pine shavings on the bottom to keep the eggs off the metal. Works great for me!

[​IMG]

Nate

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  6. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    We use shaving. The hens tend to scratch around and kick them all out, so we screwed in a piece of wood in form of the nest box which stops most of them from falling out

7. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I use shavings and dry pine needles.

8. mydog8it

mydog8it Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Quote:Holy cow. Hay is $15.75 a bale here!

I used to use shavings in the nest boxes, but mine were always kicking them out, too. I started using straw and it's working really well. It holds a nice "nest" shape and doesn't stick to the eggs.

9. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

L.L Farm :

We use shaving. The hens tend to scratch around and kick them all out, so we screwed in a piece of wood in form of the nest box which stops most of them from falling out

Thank you for this post..... My hen uses wood shavings happily. 2-days ago one of my pullets laid her first egg---and threw all the shavings out of the box. I see now that it is just a chicken preference....and she didn't like them. (I had thought that maybe she was psychotic or some such).

Has anyone used paper shredded in the shredders so many folks have now-a-days? Would it give paper cuts to chicken's feet. any thoughts? Thanks.​

10. Want Less

Want Less Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    We started off using hay (left from the horses) but the hens picked at it too much and kept kicking a lot of it out of the nest boxes just loike others have mentioned. We switched to shavings and not only do they leave them alone, but the nest boxes are also much easier to "spot clean" than with hay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by