So, what do you like about this Serama?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Camelot Farms, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Got this guy from PamperedPoultry as a PQ. I love his colors!

What else is good about him?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Chest is good. Not great but good.
    Nice wings.
    A little long in the back, not good.
    Good comb though.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2009
  3. Camelot Farms

Thank you! [​IMG]

Would it be worth putting him with a super typey hen and see what happens or should he be eliminated from the gene pool?

4. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm not a Serama fan, personally, but I do like his color much better than most Seramas I've seen. Handsome guy.

6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:It might be worth it.

7. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Oh, I don't know, there really is not anything about him that says serama, I would not breed him.

8. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I hate to say it, but I have to agree with Cindy. I dont think that he looks much like a Serama at all. How big is he?

The only thing that I see that he has going for him in Seramaesque qualities, is his wing length is good, and he has an even comb-should be 5 pints but at least its not irregular--but there are other breeds that have these qualities too, and you would not cross them into your Serama line...

His back is way too long, even though most if it is covered by his hackles-- and tail bed is too long also. Trust me...that is really hard to breed back out!
    His neck and chest are too long also. I like to imagine what they would look like if they were trying to hold an apple under their chin. Their chest should be that small and round and their neck should be short enough to "hold" the apple.

I love the stiff feathers in his tail, and would like his tail more if the banner sickles were harder and curved less, but really, he is a very pretty pet chicken---but does not have enough qualities to consider him as a breeder. I think you would be going a step backwards for sure.

Next time you are on the SCNA board, go check out the pics and the critiques. You can get an idea of what the bigger breeders think about birds.

Best of Luck Kim! If you need another roo, let me know! Extras for you are free! Just dont breed that one! [​IMG]
    Here is one you might like......
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  9. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Wow He's sure changed since you picked them up, is he the only one you kept out of the bunch? was he the bigger one with the red tint to him??

He was hatched along with 5 others that came from eggs from a fellow BYC member. I dont think they would lie about them being seramas, but you never know. However if he was the one with the red tint to him he's always been twice the size as the others? But I'm pretty sure the seller of the eggs kept hers seperated so again Hmmm??

I discovered on one of the roo's I still have that is a serama has decided to grow a few stray feathers here and there on his legs, needless to say he's on his way to a new home as a VERY PET!! Quailty Serama roo..LOL The sad thing is besides the feathers he had the prettiest color and the more typy of the bunch..hmmmm go figure!!

Hopefully my PPP seramas and Bluegrass seramas will give me some better luck.

Hang in there KIM, we'll eventually get some seramas goin, at least you have a pretty good start with Bluegrass's pair you bought!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  10. Camelot Farms

Ooookay [​IMG]

Thats the thing about culling Serama...they dont even make enough to put in the crockpot...lol.

PP...he is the one with the reddish tint, but all of the others caught up to him in size. They all look more OEGB than Serama.

They are just the right size for Lindsey to handle so even as PQ as they are, they serve a perfect purpose here. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by