1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So what does that mean??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coyotesmommy, Dec 12, 2011.

1. coyotesmommy

coyotesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    My hen is acting broody, she goes and sits on the eggs, I just got her some that are fertilized she was sitting on them, but this morning when I opened up the coop she was the first one out!! [​IMG] How cold do they get befor they are gonners? It is still nice here in North Texas. Should I leave them in the nest?

2. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    They all need a break...I'd give her a chance to do her hen outside thing and see if she goes back to the nest...

3. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    How long did she stay off of the eggs for? It's essential for a broody to get off of the nest
    everyday to eat, drink and do her business. Maybe take a dust bath as well. Usually they're
    off the nest for 15 minutes on average. Give or take a few minutes.

What kind of signs is she giving you that she's broody? Rolling eggs underneath her while
    on the nest isn't a significant sign that she's broody, it's just nesting instincts. A bossy hen
    with ruffled feathers, looks like a balloon, does that broody cluck, & Sits on the nest all
    day - is your average broody hen.

If she was giving you all the signs of a broody, and is staying off of the nest loads longer than
    she should, I'd suspect she isn't actually broody. She just thought she was. I recommend
    letting a new broody set on fake eggs for a week before putting real, fertile eggs underneath
    her. Why? Because they often sit for a day or two, then decide they're not broody.

First time broodies often aren't good sitters, and will not sit through-out the 21 day incubation
    period, or will get off the eggs multiple times a day.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  4. coyotesmommy

Jun 13, 2011
    Well she pulled all of the feathers off of her belly. Then when ever I would come home she would be sitting on the egg that got laid that day, then after I took the egg she laid on the golf balls that I leave in the nest. [​IMG]. She would puff up and make a soft shrill/ scream when I came up , as to say "Get away" So thought she was ready. She hoped back in the nest last night instead of the roost they all like to sleep on. I will leave them in there and let her practice. Thanks for the good info. Tomorrow is always another day. I will try again later. [​IMG]

5. coyotesmommy

Jun 13, 2011
    Quote:So if they get off the nest for long periods of time, than it's is over right?

6. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Not necessarily 'over'. The eggs are probably still good. If you really want them to hatch, I'd put them
    into the incubator. depending on how cool the eggs got & how long she was off of the nest, you may
    expect a bit of a late hatch. Once she's really commited, I'd try again.

7. coyotesmommy

Jun 13, 2011
    Quote:Well today is the 14th and this is the first morning that she did not run out of the coop as soon as I opened the door [​IMG] She did not leave the nest all this morning. But I leave for work at 8 am so we will see..... If anything I will let her practicing and get her some eggs later like you suggested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by