so what happens if i breed him with her? Will i get what i want?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nursesammy, Jul 20, 2010.

1. nursesammy

nursesammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Alta Vista , KS
    I have the most beautiful cinnamon queen hen ever. And she lays eggs the size off large duck eggs. Shes great! Now if i breed her to a black copper maran[good lines] will i get a hen that lays large choc colored eggs?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Probably not as dark.

3. nursesammy

nursesammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Alta Vista , KS
    Oh yeah i should also mention my cinnamon queen [martha stewart] also lays very dark eggs for not being a maran. shes a cinnamon queens whos eggs are the color of cinnamon.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It is not just one pair of genes that influence egg color, but several different pairs. The offspring will inherit different genes from each pair from each parent. Which genes will be inherited and which will be dominant, I don't know. It is very possible that the Cinnamon Queen has some recessive genes that she would pass on to her offspring and the resulting egg would even be less dark than her current egg, even if she is crossed with a Maran rooster. Odds of getting a darker than usual egg are pretty good. Odds of getting one as dark as a good Maran egg are not very good. Odds of getting a lighter egg are not real good either.

Same with egg size. Since the hen is laying a large egg, the offspring might inherit those genes from her. But them, the offspring might inherit genes from the rooster that influence egg size more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by