So what happens to Gertrude's egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Moochie, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    My silkie hen is broody [​IMG] But I don't think the roo has mated with her. And he's a giant cochin, well on the way to being giant... He's only 3 or 4 months old.
    Gertrude (the silkie bantam) goes in there all the time. She only comes out to eat and drink. I looked in there today, and there was an egg, but is it fertilized? I wouldn't think so...
    Plus I am afraid to go pick it cuz Gertrude will run over to the nest box thing (its not really a nest box, its half of a dog carrier put on the ground) and she will peck me. If I try to pick her up she will peck me, or make funny noises. I think she's a year old though I'm not sure. I forgot what the lady said at the ranch.

2. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    i wouldn't think it would be fertile being she is a bantam and he is a young giant cochin.i think his breed takes awhile to mature also.she is just being a silkie.i would take the egg unless you want babies and if that is the case find some fertile eggs to put under her and let her hatch them.

3. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:we do have barred rocks and mixes who lay... but how do i know if theyre fertile or not? as far as im concerned the roo with the big girls is afraid of them.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by