1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

So, what is a dollar worth anyway?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by FutureChickenMan, Dec 10, 2007.

1. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member Premium Member 11 Years

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    FYI this is a 42 minute long video.

2. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Songster

Oct 29, 2007
    Yeah, if you're not on broadband, don't bother.

3. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Songster

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    This is the currency conversion I use. Go to tools, Universal Currency Converter.

http://www.xe.com

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  4. FutureChickenMan

Oct 29, 2007
    Quote:Actually, it wasn't a matter of value compared to other currency. It's a matter of REAL not perceived value of the dollar. You need to watch the video to understand the question.

5. FutureChickenMan

Oct 29, 2007
    so the feds lowered the interest rate today... and the stock market reacted.....

6. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Songster

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    The video is not available when I try to watch it. I like to travel overseas so my main concern is what the dollar will exchange for, for instance the dollars value in China has gone from 8.28 yuans to 7.39 yuans for one dollar so it has weaken as far as our return and what it will purchase.

7. FutureChickenMan

Oct 29, 2007
    the short version is this..

The fed reserve can value or devalue the dollar any time they please by printing more or less of them. The real value of the dollar is virutally nothing as they only hold a small percentage of assets to back up the dollar in reserve. Banks are also only required to hold a small percentage of assets to back up the dollar. So, the real value in gold of a dollar is nothing.

It's an interesting video if you have the time and the bandwidth to watch it.

8. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Songster

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:Plus they are competing with the counterfeiters, I have heard that North Korea is one of the largest counterfeiters in the world of US currency. I will try to view it later thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: