So what is my rooster/hen ratio?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by redheadfarmer, Mar 2, 2012.

1. redheadfarmer

redheadfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    SW Ontario
    These chicks are approximately 5-7 weeks old and are the result of EE X Maran cross. I am confident that at least 2 are roos....hopefully that is all! I know that full body pictures would be best but these little chicks are frisky!

Pullet 1?

[​IMG]

Pullet 2?
    [​IMG]

Pullet 3?
    [​IMG]

Roo 1?
    [​IMG]

Pullet 4 or Roo 2?
    [​IMG]

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Hrm... I hate to say it, but only the first one looks safely pullet. Comb development shouldn't happen on a pullet until the 15th week at earliest.

3. Hezz

Hezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    Looks to me like 1, 2, and 3 are pullets. Their combs are smaller and lighter. Not sure, you'll have to keep an eye on them to see, they're still young.

4. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    The first one looks like a girl to me. The second is a tough call, and the last two definitely look like boys. That middle one is difficult to say, as well, but with the comb reddening already, I want to say boy.

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    x2

6. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    The 1st one is the only one that looks like a pullet to me, though the comb is pretty large to it might just turn into a boy [​IMG]

7. MissCluckCluck

MissCluckCluck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Do you have updated pics? [​IMG]

8. redheadfarmer

redheadfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    SW Ontario
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Since it is raining, my coop building has been put on hold. Instead I tried to get some new pics of the olive egger chicks....but man are they fast![​IMG]

They are the result of an ameraucana x maran and are approximately 8-9 weeks old. There are 2 roosters for sure. One has a huge comb and the other is crowing so I didn't include pictures of them. Thanks.

9. Hezz

Hezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    All three of these look like pullets to me. Are these the same one's in pics 1, 2, & 3 from the younger pics? Just curious...[​IMG]

10. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Only #1 looks like a pullet. The other two "pullets" look like pea comb roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by