1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

........so what IS the most SAUGHT AFTER/RARE breed of chicken in USA?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by junebug7334, Oct 9, 2008.

1. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    To bounch off the chicken wish list..........what is the ONE that is rare/endangered/hard to find?

2. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I know the Silver Grey Dorking is endangered.

I think I saw that somewhere...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  3. horsecrazy

horsecrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    central CA
    I don't know after sought-after but rare definately a true Amerucana. multicolored, rumpless, blue eggs, weird comb, and feathers sticking out of the side of it's head. Yep, that's definately a looker.

check out these pics:

http://www.mypetchicken.com/Araucana-B13.aspx

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:actually you described Araucana, which you need to get from a breeder, very difficult breed(lot of work to get them to fit the standard), but great fun [​IMG]

If you just want to know rare etc you can check this page out, it tells you how common etc.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

as far as most sought after, black copper marans are pretty high on the list....

5. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Yeah, I can't believe I saw th BC Marans eggs on ebay go for almost $200. I want gold eggs for that price. Ha!!!

6. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I don't know about the most saught after breed, but if things work out like I am hoping, then I will be receiving a pair of Silver Grey Dorkings in the very near future. I am so excited. I have been reading up on the breed, so that I will be ready for when they arrive.

7. herbsherbsflowers

herbsherbsflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Covington, GA
    Barred Hollands are supposed to be very rare. We have 5 pullets and a cockerel and hope to have babies next year.

8. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    wow----who knew-my neighbor has heritage breeed silver-gray dorkings.

9. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Many of the hatcheries raise the "rare" breeds. but they pay no attention to the quality of the bird, just the quantity.
    So many of the rare breeds are still very rare in superb, preserved heritage or exhibition quality.

That being said, Anconas are pretty rare, I would say the Appenzeller's are rare birds, Dutch bantams in good form are hard to get, I could go on with breeds. The chicken chart is a good source for info.

10. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Real araucanas are pretty hard to find. omg green jungle fowls (not a fun chicken to raise, Id imagine).... large fowl silkies in the US (now there would be something with a market), black fleshed sumatras in the US, OMG Ayan Cemani look that one up on feathersite- thats got to be one of the rarest. Yeah, Im going with cemani.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by