So what is the REAL ideal humity??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pascal PicklePants, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Pascal PicklePants

Pascal PicklePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    Just looking for peoples experience with different humidity ranges. I am in MN and it has been really, really cold here the past week or so, making it a little more challenging to keep the humidity in my home made bator up. I'm finding it reasonably easy to keep it between 30-40% with just a water dish and a humidifier in the room. It's in a spare bathroom, so I can flip the shower on to crank it up even farther if I have to. I've read often on this site, that this sort of range is fine, but all the "official" literature seems to suggest more like 60-65%.

So, wondering what humidity ranges other folks (especially arctic folk) have found success with.

Thanks in advance.

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    For chickens I go 40-45%, and 60-65% for lockdown, but that's just me. I am sorry to inform you that you will get a different answer from every person.[​IMG]

3. Pascal PicklePants

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    Oh, I know. Just from doing a bit of searching, I realize that everyone has different answers to this. I'm just looking to compile various peoples experiences in one spot...see if there are any commonalities.

Besides......it's -17F here so I have nothing else to do but putter around on this forum [​IMG]

4. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    Ideal depends on a few things that effect the rate of weight loss of the egg. Your eggs are supposed to lose between 11-14% of their weight during the hatch.

Altitude, air flow in the incubator and egg porosity all effect this weight loss. I measure the weight of the eggs each week during the hatch and adjust the humidity accordingly. I have a sportsman incubator( fan) and am at a High altitude. I hatch incubate at 40 percent and hatch at 55%. When I incubate orhatch at a higher humidity rates my hatch rate goes down dramatically.

5. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    still air...i use jar of water in incubator..recently i got a indoor/outdoor thermo with humidity reading..runs on 2AA batteries..how accurate it is with humidity ?? i have nothing else to go by..temp readings are right on along with 2 other therms. anyways my reading shows 16 % humidity..last 3 days as everyone calls..lockdown..i add another jar of water & wet sponge..and reading is only 17%.....yep its cold outside..but house is warm..i even have bator near bathroom door..showers & laundry washing..humidity hasnt changed any.....but...ive had some great hatches. so far avg. is 38 live chicks out of 40 eggs. this is actually my 9th yr of using same incubator & few others just like it.. and hatches always seems to be the same percentage of hatching. the only time i have had lower percentage rate of hatching is with the serama eggs..personally my feeling with those is just a weaker breed for hatching them out..esp the smaller class A.

6. Pascal PicklePants

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    soap&eggs :

still air...i use jar of water in incubator..recently i got a indoor/outdoor thermo with humidity reading..runs on 2AA batteries..how accurate it is with humidity ?? i have nothing else to go by..temp readings are right on along with 2 other therms. anyways my reading shows 16 % humidity..last 3 days as everyone calls..lockdown..i add another jar of water & wet sponge..and reading is only 17%.....yep its cold outside..but house is warm..i even have bator near bathroom door..showers & laundry washing..humidity hasnt changed any.....but...ive had some great hatches. so far avg. is 38 live chicks out of 40 eggs. this is actually my 9th yr of using same incubator & few others just like it.. and hatches always seems to be the same percentage of hatching. the only time i have had lower percentage rate of hatching is with the serama eggs..personally my feeling with those is just a weaker breed for hatching them out..esp the smaller class A.

38 out of 40 is great!! I would be more than thrilled with that rate.

I'm using a cheap petco dial type hygrometer that I verified to read 4% low. So accounting for that is easy. Temps outside are due to warm up significantly to a balmy 28 this week. I've decided to try to sustain a 40% RH +/- 5. Should be easier now with the warm up, no more turning the hot shower on to keep RH above 30% [​IMG]

Keep thoughts coming, curious to see what people are having success with.​

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I dont even pay attention to the humidity the first 18 days, just the size of the air sac. Day 18 when I "lock them down" I keep the humidity around 60-65% in the still air or 65-70% in the forced air.

8. Pascal PicklePants

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    Quote:I was going to try and not candle very often....but.....If I were to keep track of the size of air sac, what would I be looking for? Is it just supposed to be a certain percentage of the egg volume? If so, does that percentage change over the course of the incubation? [​IMG]

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:There are loads of pictures on this site you can look at to compare, showing how the air sac gets bigger as the chick develops. I always find it difficult to judge by looking at the air sac, so I weigh my eggs instead to check their progress. Like jmagill said up there, chicken eggs should have ideally lost 11-14% of their weight by the time they get to lockdown. So if you weigh them at the start, you can keep track of their progress and adjust humidity accordingly. I don't think keeping a stable humidity is anywhere near as important as keeping a stable temperature.

I aim for 45-50% for incubation and 70% for lockdown. But weighing to judge progress means that I often adjust up or down during the incubation period. My hatch rates haven't been anything great yet, but I'm going to put that down to shipped eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by