So... What other fowl do well with ducks?

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
Well I was just thinking... My mom has recently become the part owner of a company that she used to work for but went bankrupt,and we plan on moving to a biggger property in a year or two.

What other fowl goes really well with ducks? Because there is no way I will be getting rid of my babies but I thought it might be cool to have something else.

My neighbor has chickens, guineas, peackocks, and turkeys.

But then what about swans and geese? Thos emight be a little expensive though.

So give me some opinions people! What should I start looking towards and thinking about?

My understanding is that if you want something that is as easy to care for as ducks you would go with geese and guinea fowl. I don't know anything about guinea fowl, but geese, yes get geese. I see them for free or low cost all the time on CL.

AND OMG Goatwalker.... you want something besides ducks? The world is no long the same.
lol.png

I've kept both geese and guineas with ducks. The guineas actually shared a coop with the ducks. They roosted up high and the ducks slept on the floor. (But with a poop board to protect their heads.)

I'd say go for the geese. Swans are very aggressive from everything I've heard and seen, plus expensive. I'd shoot for some honkers!!! Lucky duck... I wanna have more property and more ducks... and some geese.. and some chickens... and some turkeys... and some peacocks!

Quote:
I know, I feel like a traitor
hit.gif
LOL Its not that I want something OTHER than ducks, Its just that I want something other than ducks that Lays EGGS.
gig.gif

Let me tell yah a story. I had white and fawn runner ducks for many years and one fall day was given a big white male Embden goose. I loved him (still do). He was so awesome and fun. Gandolf the White I named him. He slept, swam, and ate with the ducks. They got along great. He did attack the turkeys; grabbed them and drug them around like rag dolls. Separation it was. Then in spring when mating season started; Gandolf decided he wanted the white hens for himself and the flock was split between him and Daisy drake. I thought, oh, isn't that different and let it go until a few days later Daisy was in Gandolfs mouth and getting the poo shook out of him. Another separation and the purchase of several white geese girls. The moral of the story: always have a goose for your gander.

dont get geese get chickens i love chickens and i have a small flock of EE's currently living with my Buffs until i build a new pen they dont pay attension to each other and actually do well together i've had ducks for like two years and now i have chickens and love 'em i had geese and they were the devil's pets!!! i swear my gander was possesed!! but get chickens i had only ducks for a long time and then my mom called me a trader but i got over it and now have 27 chickens and 12 ducks!!! but dont get me wrong i love my ducks and wouldnt trade them for the world i just fell in love with my first chicken which was an EE named mongoose and i just kep getting more!!! so go chickens!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you love ducks, goslings will steal your heart.
love.gif

They require a mama and a daddy for about a year (you can put them by themselves sooner than that though!), and they imprint heavily on you as their mama, and will forever take grass from your hands and let you pick them up and cuddle them.

Geese have insane personalities, more so than ducks, and you'll never want to go without them again!
big_smile.png

Like I have to, because the ones I want are $50 each...
sad.png

I miss my goose! Just don't go near them during the breeding season unless they trust you totally.

Chickens... Pleh. They're another story.

So stupid you can walk up to them at night in the coop and pluck them off their perch. You can't overcrowd them (which isn't good anyway) or they'll pick one of the others to death. I like my silkie chickens okay, but the rest are... just... Dumb. Throw them a piece of 'food' and they freak out. After you've had ducks, chickens seem so boring!
lol.png

Trust me, I've wanted chickens since I was like twelve, but I ended up with better birds (ducks and geese). Of course, you could go ahead and get small numbers of each...
wink.png

But do make SURE you get AT LEAST one pair of geese!

My girl died because she couldn't find a place to lay her eggs, and I didn't figure it out until a year after her death...
hit.gif

i love my chickens they are soo sweet i couldnt go a day with out either chickens or ducks ducks have such a personality and chickens can be sooo sweet i have a NHR roo he just sits in your lap and talks to you and then i have an EE pullet that will do the same and then my ducks have such a funny personality but chickens i fell are cleaner than ducks but ducks make up for it in personality but they are totally different things and both can be sooo sweet.

Back
Top Bottom