So, what rooster did my neighbor have last year?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by neferset, Sep 29, 2009.

1. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    My neighbor on the other side of the woods had a rooster last year. My Old English Game Bantam hen got under the fence and went to visit him then laid an egg that we put under a broody, once she came back. I think Igor's papa was a standard Barred Rock. What do you think?

[​IMG] Click for a bigger picture.

Because they are on the other side of the woods and keep to themselves, we don't see those neighbors that often. I don't hear their rooster anymore, so I really don't want to ask.

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Maybe a barred rock or black sex-link roo. There are probably a few more possibilities that would produce barred offspring. Igor is a handsome fella!

3. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Thank you! We are really happy with him. We had all bantams last year before he was hatched and only got standard hens later, so he became the father of this year's big chicks.

His genetic mother was a little all black hen we bought paired with a BB Red rooster. His boys seem to come out looking like large BBReds (but that might come from our Easter Egger or maybe our BBRed somehow managed?) or barred like him with the yellow coloring just now coming in. His girls are black like our Easter Egger without the red she has around her face.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by