So, whatcha do?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Jennsbirds, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Jennsbirds

Jennsbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Bay Area
    Pardon the phrasing, please. What does everyone here do for a living? Farm for profit? Job and side money from eggs? Something else entirely?

I'm an aspiring novelist and I sell art prints and T-shirts. I'm going to get into sewing and jewelery for sale soon.

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Right now I'm a paid EMT. I don't make much off my eggs but do make a bit of side money selling chicks, bunnies, and adult birds when I have them. During the summer, there is quite a demand for them in my area! During fair I used to make a LOT of money selling chicks. This will be the first year in many that I will not be doing that at fair.

In August I will be starting veterinary school, which I am really looking forward to!

3. Jennsbirds

Feb 24, 2013
    Bay Area
    Wow. EMT and vet? Those are some togh jobs.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The EMT job sounds more exciting than it actually is I think! We mostly do transports from hospitals to nursing homes. It's pretty routine, which is alright by me!

I'm hoping vet school will be less routine and more exciting!

5. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    Sardinia, Ohio
    I'm an electrician for a company that builds machines that make plastic parts. For instance I mainly wire up machines that produce milk and juice bottles.

When I complete my set up I intend to donate most of the eggs to family and friends in need.

6. Jennsbirds

Feb 24, 2013
    Bay Area

That's so sweet of you.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I am retired, living on my pension on a small bit of land with my flock. I used to work for the State of California as a non- sworn member of the California Highway Patrol. Started as a 9-1-1 Dispatcher in Monterey County in 1977 and worked my way up to 9-1-1 Center Supervisor before I moved to Southern California in 1991. Also worked as an EMT for an ambulance company for a couple of years in there. Joined the Patrol as a Public SafetyDispatcher in 1992, promoted to Supervisor and then promoted again to Telecommunications Systems Analyst II, retiring after 20 years just last May.

So now I just take care of my chickens, ducks, turkeys and geese.

8. omaeve

omaeve Chillin' With My Peeps

I am a potter .I make pottery. Just got my first Chickens sept 2012. one has started to lay. Will be making snot pots to barter/sell at chicken swaps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my new chicks jan hatch

9. Jennsbirds

Feb 24, 2013
    Bay Area
    Those chickies are so adorable. Are they mixed breeds?

What's a snot pot?

10. omaeve

omaeve Chillin' With My Peeps

they are sultan,cochin,dUccle,Brahma all featherleg hatch see the 300 pic of them I will be posting from hatch till 1 year old. hope to make a timeline show how they grow out.
    A SNOT POT is an egg separator the pots i make have faces with big ole nose for the whites to run out...hence SNOT POT.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by