1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So what's growing in my yard? LOL

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CarterCrazy, Oct 1, 2015.

1. CarterCrazy

CarterCrazy Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2015
    I've been trying out different treats for the ducks lately. Seems they LOVE me for bringing out chopped up watermelon, canteloupe, tomatoes, and cukes. I bought them some DuMOR Scratch for Adult Birds. They don't really seem to give a hoot about it, but I have noticed it IS sprouting into some lovely green vegetation that looks like a hearty grass. I've recently mowed over it to keep it in check [​IMG]. I look on the label and it just says 'assorted grains'. Any idea what is growing in my yard? I'm not complaining! With all the rain we've had here in NC, there are patches of my yard that are barren mud slicks, so the fact that anything is growing there is happy news to me. Just curious what it would develop into if I stopped mowing over it. LOL! :D

Signed,

City girl in the country *blush*

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I'm not good with plants myself, but I think a picture would probably help. ;)

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It probably would produce something if not mowed down, as long as it got started early enough.

Rye sprouts pretty quickly, as does wheat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by