So...what's running around my coop?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CountryFried, Nov 20, 2010.

1. CountryFried

CountryFried Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2010
    SE AL
    These are my 7 babies, roughly 2 months old. I bought them from Monkeyingaroundfarm , but I'm not sure which breeds/types survived of the original 13. Pretty sure he sent Olive-eggers, Frizzles (is that really the breed, tho? Thought I read any breed could frizzle), and Ameraucanas (EEs??). Two are Naked necks. There is one obvious roo, do you see any others?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, these are the Silkies. I thought all Silkies had the fluffy feathers, is that wrong? I'd love to know what color my "grey" Silkie is, and what breed? the two black ones are. I'd also like to know if the black with the really feathered feet by himself in the first 3 pics) looks like it might be a roo. These guys just started laying in the past 2-3 weeks, to give you an idea of age. I bought them off CL from a guy down the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    2 are white EE which could be your Olive Eggers
    2 BR and one is a male
    2 Turkens (or Naked necks)
    The Black ones are not pure (if any) Silkie, I am not an expert but reading the post on here....the others would either be hatchery quality or crossed Silkies.

3. CountryFried

Mar 6, 2010
    SE AL
    Quote:Any idea about the brown one?

ETA I forgot which hatchery the Silkies came from, McMurray, maybe. The guy I got them from told me, but I've forgotten.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  4. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    The black chicken with feathered feet is not a silky, she is a lovely cochin hen (assuming she is of laying age). I really don't see any silky in her.

5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    The brown one could be a Leghorn or Welsummer.

6. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    dont you just love surprisies:D

7. CountryFried

Mar 6, 2010
    SE AL
    Quote:I suspected that. Not sure if the guy I got them from knew that, or if he thought they were Silkies.

Thanks for the help everyone!

8. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I think the 2 white silies and the blue silkie are kind of nice looking! I love the cochins, too. I'm no expert on chicken breeds or standards, but I think you have a nice-looking mix to your flock![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by